Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Retained fat folicles???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Geckos - ALL species
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miffikins
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Retained fat folicles??? Reply with quote

Just to give you the background, one of my leos Lulu has been off her food for ages, eating only the odd wax worm now and again. I first took her to the vets at easter and she gave me liquid food for her to see if it would prompt her apetite. Worked a bit but not much so I carried on with syringe feeding her.

She dropped more weight so back I went 3 weeks ago, she was wormed and went on antibiotics for a week to rule out infection and he also gave her a thorough physical examination. We were both pretty baffled as to why she wasn't eating, so he gave me more liquid food and said to get some crit care formula, which I did and have been syringe feeding her since, with the odd waxie.

She seemed to be putting some weight back on, but the last few days her tummy has been getting bloated and I know it didnt look right so off I went to the vets with her today not holding out much hope for her. I saw the vet I saw first time round and she said it looks like retained fat folicles (I think) and she can operate to remove them or have her put to sleep as it will eventually cause liver failure.

I'm totally gutted as I've tried my best for her and she is totally herself, active and inquisitive. The vet today said it would have taken a while for the retension to get that big, so I'm kicking myself for not checking her better and wondering why the vet didnt see a few weeks ago.

So I just wondered if anyone has come across this before?? And any indication of if the problem will return.

I have provisionally booked her in for the operation for friday but I know she is only small and might not come round after, but half of me wants to give her the chance as she seems fine and is acting normally

Sorry for the long post!! Poor Lulu Crying or Very sad

Thanks

Kate
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Geckos - ALL species All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: