Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bismarck ring python!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Boas & Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
largesnake
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: bismarck ring python!!! Reply with quote

HI again guys i have just got me hands on 1 of this little snakes and she is CB01 and about 5ft long she has quite a temper on her but a gorgeous colour to her i have never had 1 of these befor is there any breeders or keeper in the uk willing to give me some info on them i know the heat they need and all that kind of stuff i mean like breeding info??? Smile Smile
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl Green akja snakesalive maybe able to help so may Jon G..
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hatched some babies, for the 3rd time. So I know a thing or two about them Wink
Adults are easy to keep, I never spray or anything like that, Just give them a humid hide and they'll be OK. They are supposed to like high humidity, but mine thrive without any extra spraying.
Mine eat anything I put in front of them and have quite the feeding reponse Laughing
As far as temps are concerned, keep a normal gradient and you'll do well. Actually the only "difficult" part is when they are babies. Some can be tricky to get started, although mine never gave me problems. And they really need high humidity as babies, you can kill them by keeping them too dry.
You can find relatively calm animals, but many, maybe most are temperamental. That's all I can think of, mostly standard python husbandry really.
robuk
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For improved results with breeding, multiple males tend to be recommended. Single males sometimes lack a bit of labido and need another male in the vicinity to get them revved up.

In addition, of particular relevance is the age of ringed pythons. They tend to, but not always, need to be at least five to six years old to stand a chance of breeding, particularly females. My female laid eggs for the first time this year and she is seven years old. I bought her as a hatchling. Of the nine eggs laid, seven were infertile. Waiting on the remaining two to hatch. The poor fertility could, in part, be explained by the use of just one male in the breeding trials, although there could, of course, be other reasons.

If you decide to attempt breeding (she's probably old enough), good luck. I think they are fantastic animals to own, although, as you've found out, some have a questionable attitude.

Regards
Rob
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any pics please Ron? Very Happy

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
robuk
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon G has definitely produced a few clutches over the years and I think he's a keen advocate of using multiple males. I'm sure he'll post when he's next on.

I think the thread starter is looking for breeding tips rather than general husbandry guidance.

Ron, I'd be interested in hearing your breeding techniques for ringeds.

Cheers
Rob
RonW
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ wrote:

This years babies? Not yet.

As for breeding. I keep them in cages with only heat mat as their hot spot, no bulbs. Ambients temps go from 25-28C during summer to 17 (night) to 23C (day) in winter. The heat mat does stay @ about 30C. When the nights start to warm up I put them together and spray regularly to get them going. I usually separate and reintroduce the male a few times until I see the female ovulate. This year I forgot to do that and fertility was low, hence only 3 babies from 12 eggs. Previous years all eggs were fertile.
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Sorry Ron...I knew there was someone else... Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonW wrote:
MJ wrote:

This years babies? Not yet.

Adults babies sub adults I'm not fussy mate some would even say I'm easy Laughing

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
jon_g
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ring are great snakes, very interesting to work with,

Couple of photos of adults with babies here http://www.captivebred.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16740&highlight=ring+python

This is the type of thing that is fascinating when keeping reptiles, what works for one person doesn't for others, you can try to reproduce the environment of teh captives where successfull breeding has happened and have no results.

For me 2 years ago I used single males for matings, with clutches produced but zero fertility.
Last year i used 2 males with one female and had great success, and fertile eggs.
I didn't witness any male combat.

Some people say that this species need to be kept at 28 maximum, and also incubate at 28, I use just general python temps for husbandry and incubation and it works very well. I would say the temps I use are very similar to ron's.

Indonesia is a very humid place (even in the dry season), so no worries about that here, although each cage has lots of moss.

The babies are very beautiful,

Our adults will eat everything put in front of them,

Good luck with this project !!

http://www.worldwidefauna.com

Exporters from Indonesia, You have tried the rest now try the best!!

http://worldwidefauna.com/index.php?cPath=52_22

http://www.ecoterrariumsupply.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Boas & Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: