Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Genetics thought

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike h
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Genetics thought Reply with quote

Hi all
Just a thought, if a snake is 100% het for 2 recessive traits e.g. albino/pied. how does the punetts sqaure work if you put it then with a 100% het for albino or a visual albino.
If the albino trait in the double het is what you are aiming for, will the pied genes reduce the chances of producing albinos?

hope makes sense
mike
SCI
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Genetics thought Reply with quote

mike h wrote:
Hi all
Just a thought, if a snake is 100% het for 2 recessive traits e.g. albino/pied. how does the punetts sqaure work if you put it then with a 100% het for albino or a visual albino.
If the albino trait in the double het is what you are aiming for, will the pied genes reduce the chances of producing albinos?

hope makes sense
mike

I think so lol.No it's still a 1 in 4 chance no matter how many
genes you dealing with.

http://www.freewebs.com/scissnakes/
Robbie
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to end up drawing and screenshotting Very Happy

When doing recessives I always have a vision of an upperclass W (wild) with lowercase letters corresponding to the recessive genes it carries above. Probably because I studied chemisrty and I've endless screeds of proton/electron/neutron numbers.

I'll try finding something short of me drawing one Very Happy

I don't think having any number of recessives genes, outs the chance of producing one solid visual. Well, not as far as I've seen.
Robbie
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There we go Smile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punnett_square
Rad
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice and easy to follow, thanks robbie
mike h
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put it another way:

If both snakes where 100% het for both albino and pied, I would imagine that the chances of getting either visual pieds or visual albinos would be reduced.

So if i put a 100% het albino with a 100% albino and a 100% pied(carrying both genes) the chances of producing albinos would be less because the pied gene will be taking up possibilities???

more input please
mike
woodage
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does not work like that. The genes are found on different chromosomes. Thats why you can get albino pieds, bumble bees. Two separate traits altogether. They do not clash but they do combine. Its like saying a snake cant have eyes because the tongue genetics gets in the way!! If you had a visual albino het pied and bred it to an albino, you would get all albinos 50% of which would be het for pied. The pied gene cant block the albino one. They are totally separate traits. The only reason an albino pied is a rare animal is that if you breed double het to double het, the chances of having both traits showing on one snake are 1 in 16.

Having said all this, the pied gene does seem to be effected by different pattern genes. They do not get in the way of each other but the pied trait shows itself as somthing different when combined with some genes. The spider pied shows itself as a white snake with only colour on the head and the lesser platty pied comes out as a white snake with blue eyes.

Hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: