Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hybreds!!what do people think and dont by shy about it
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Boas & Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
largesnake
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: hybreds!!what do people think and dont by shy about it Reply with quote

hi guys what do people think about hybreds???
i have to say i think there sweet well most of them but just this last 2 years or so breeders are really pushing there luck or is that just me
i mean the burm x ball i think how is that done???male burm to female ball or female burm to male ball??i would like to find out
any way i think there fine aslong as there kinda the same ie size wise!! and they are sold as such and people know

6 fat female royals
and a hole load of babys 20-25??
1 male burm (doppy)
1 female green conda
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say that I'm a big fan of hybrids, I do find them very interesting and some are stunning.

I think that if the hybrids are kept seperate and look VERY different to the parent species aren't too bad, in fact I have to be careful as I do actually keep a BurmBall Embarassed Laughing

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
largesnake
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi scott that burmball just looks out of this world to common snakes mixed make!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!what can you say just look at it i heard that there was a few at hamm is that were you got him from??
and what kind of plans do you have breeding wise
Jezz
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Scott, have to say I never did like Burmballs Razz
But this is a really nice example and looks proportioned well. I really do like that!

Don't think I'd personally keep hybrids though, for the most part I do disagree with it, I don't see the need really and think its going to far in snake breeding. And all its going to take is one nob to really mess things up for us wanting to keep 100% natural species!

But each to their own as with most things in the reptile world.

2.1.0 Python Regius
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.0.1 Lampropeltis getulus californiae
1.0.0 Pantherophis guttata guttata
0.1.0 Eublepharis macularius
0.1.0 Testudo hermanni
0.1.0 Grammostola rosea
SteveL
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For captive breeding i think the way forward will be hybrids etc etc

Lets face it nothing we keep will be released into the wild EVER!

especially carpets !

jezz wrote:
I dont understand SteveL's sarcasm dohhh
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveL wrote:

especially carpets !

That's some what true but wouldn't it be a shame if some where down the line (if every one had your "way forward" mentality) we had no pure species of snake in captivity just mutts and the species got wiped out in the wild?

Snakes are one thing as most are not being wiped out by a world wide spreading fungal infection.. frogs on the other hand like darts are being wiped out and hybrids have ZERO place in the particular area of the hobby that I specialize in.

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
Jezz
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveL wrote:

especially carpets !

Why?

Why only hybrids?

If the snake hobby was full of hybrids and nowt else I'd lose interest in them pretty quickly and get out of the hobby just as quick.

When I keep an animal such as snakes, fish, lizards, or T's, I like to know exactly what I'm keeping and how to keep it. My interest is caring for the animals we see in the wild and keeping those same ones in captivity successfully, not man made horrors Laughing

Also, if in the future our hobby is ruled by mostly hybrids, the animals welfare will be even more compramised on than it is now due to two totally different snakes making one.

What temp due you keep it at?

What humidity?

Viv setup?

Feeding? Different snakes sometimes do better on different foods/sized foods and I can see this becoming a problem if some one ever decided to breed an egg eater to a rodent eater! Which, if filled with nowt else, will happen sooner or later..

What about deformities?

IMHO A hobby filled with hybrids and pure lines being rarer to get hold of than the hybrids are now will be a very sad one!

But theres just my view on it.

I don't see the point filling it with hybirds when we have the pure thing.

And as for wild releases, You been to florida yet mate Laughing Laughing

2.1.0 Python Regius
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.0.1 Lampropeltis getulus californiae
1.0.0 Pantherophis guttata guttata
0.1.0 Eublepharis macularius
0.1.0 Testudo hermanni
0.1.0 Grammostola rosea
robuk
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difficult topic this one. I thought there might be a few more opinions by now. I've got to say I generally agree with the negative comments on hybrids, I'm not a fan. The problem you have is what some individuals consider an intergrade, others may view as a hybrid. I'm certainly not keen on people breeding royals with womas, bloods, burmese etc.. Whilst the offspring are interesting to see and are a credit to the breeders skill, the ethics of creating these mongrels does not sit well with me.

However, you then need to look at what your definition of a hybrid is and this differs with different people. Is a hybrid simply offspring from parents of a different genus or could a breeding between two species which are incapable of coming into contact in the wild be considered hybrid. This then raises the issue of carpet breeding, say, between a jungle carpet and a diamond. Whilst obviously related, should an eyebrow be raised to these "intergrades", which live at opposite ends of Australia?

Just my ten pence worth.
Regards
Rob
Central Scotland Reptiles
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, i am against hybridisation. But each to their own and i would never criticise anyone who chooses to keep / propagate such an animal. So long as it is done responsibly.
mark
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im all for it Cool it will never make true breeds extinct imo as people will still breed normals aswell look at the market for example regarding normal royals and bci were flooded with them so i dont think it will have an effect on them fair enough if the mutations was being released to the wild but there not Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Boas & Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: