Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Royal male issues!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharpy
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Royal male issues!! Reply with quote

Hi All,

It seems my Male Python doesn't fancy eating, plus he seems to staying in the "cool" area of his tank. Its about 30 C in the tank and never had an issue with feeding after his winter fast before but this time he just doesn't seem interested.

Not sure if this is normal but just want to be certain, any advice would be really useful.

Cheers

Sharpy Very Happy
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sharpy. Smile

Do you have a bit more detail relating to the set up? i.e. the measurements of the viv/tray the method of heating, the temperature at the cool end and the hot end etc?
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
The Medusan
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you bred him before? If not, he may still be in "breeding" mode which is why he's refusing food. Personally, I'd just wait him out.
molurus
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't panic !
just be patient,
keep an eye on his weight.
Bazzer
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, i would guess it's husbandry related. You mention that the temperature is 30 degrees; you need a temperature gradient in there so he can warm himself and cool himself. Aim for 82f - 84f cool end and 92f - 94f warm end inside his hide.

Try and get humidity as close between 40-60% as you can and remember that BP's like small snug hides and enclosures (no more than 3ft x 2ft x 18inches), as large open spaces can overwhelm them causing stress, which in turn may result in no eating.
Sharpy
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your responses, I'm in the right ball park and from what it sounds i am panicing for nothing at present.

He looks well enough and does pop his head out now and again and wander round, i find it hard to imagine going for so long without food when I'm hungry all the time!!! Very Happy

Off on my jollies for 2 weeks, hopefully he will eat upon my return and and when i get them out again i will get some pics posted too!!

Cheers again,

Sharpy Very Happy
crusher
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazzer wrote:
Personally, i would guess it's husbandry related. You mention that the temperature is 30 degrees; you need a temperature gradient in there so he can warm himself and cool himself. Aim for 82f - 84f cool end and 92f - 94f warm end inside his hide.

Try and get humidity as close between 40-60% as you can and remember that BP's like small snug hides and enclosures (no more than 3ft x 2ft x 18inches), as large open spaces can overwhelm them causing stress, which in turn may result in no eating.

he said 30c not 30f lol
Bazzer
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crusher wrote:
Bazzer wrote:

he said 30c not 30f lol

And had you read my reply correctly, I said he needed a temperature gradient. In other words one temperature lower than the other and in this case, I mentioned 82f - 84f and 92f and 94f.

Tut! You always get one who can't read properly and who rushes through the post in order to try and be the wise ass but only makes a fool of themself . Laughing
Lynne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazzer wrote:
crusher wrote:
Bazzer wrote:

he said 30c not 30f lol

And had you read my reply correctly, I said he needed a temperature gradient. In other words one temperature lower than the other and in this case, I mentioned 82f - 84f and 92f and 94f.

Tut! You always get one who can't read properly and who rushes through the post in order to try and be the wise ass but only makes a fool of themself . Laughing

i use 'f' too. cant work in centigrade.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i agree with bazzer too about temps. even slightly off will put them off eating. check temps and get that gradient. and dont go relaxing, you should be working to get his set up correct then he will eat for you. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: