Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This Years Prices
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
josh_j_mcg
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: This Years Prices Reply with quote

Well I was on the phone to a big breeder in the UK as I'll be getting my first morph soon and we were talking about what hes got hatching as I'll be picking a morph and picking it up from Doncaster in September.

We got talking about prices, I wont say the prices he'll be offering certain morphs at, but I noticed there to be a pretty big gap between last years prices and this years proposed prices.

So it got me thinking, do you see the prices of morphs changing a lot between this year and last year, either the lower cost range or the higher cost, and would it change what YOU would be looking to buy if some of the higher morphs took a price dip?

I know its changed what I was after, after seeing the prices last year of Mojaves at between £750 - £900, I couldnt have afforded an 07 but after being told the price on them it would now be in my plans to pick up a Mojave.

Opinions and thoughts please.
The Medusan
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking, Co-Doms will be slightly cheaper this year because there will be a number of double Co-Doms offered at last year's single Co-Dom price. For example, it may be possible to pick up a Pastave (Mojave x Pastel) for the same price as a Mojave was last year.

This is very good news and shows that the BP market is extremely healthy and GROWING. Breeders who invested in their (visual) animals over the past few years will be in a position to offer more attractive options than those that simply bought hets. There is a grave misconception amongst some people that the BP market has crashed. I don't believe it has for one minute and, having recently spoken at length to this country's premier retailer of BP morphs and hearing him complain of a lack of stock, it's heartening to have that opinion justified.

Yesterday's Pastel is today's Bumble Bee and tomorrow's Killer Bee. Everyone can jump into this wonderful hobby at precisely the level they feel comfortable at knowing they can climb the morph ladder through dedication, skill and a little bit of luck. Want to make a quick buck? Stick it on red (or black) at roulette and hope your luck is in. Want to have a rewarding pastime - first choose the goal, then set your limits and finally select and buy your animals.

And to fully answer your question - prices haven't changed at all in the last 10 years RELATIVE to supply. And they never will - it's a fundamental tenet of capitalism.

My rant is over (for the present) and I wish you every success with your new acquisition(s). Smile
Bazzer
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the price of eggs has gone up in Tescos and don't even get me started on petrol! Laughing Laughing

For those who live in Portugal, don't muddle your euro with Sterling cos that could be disasterous.
smileyculture
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Medusan wrote:
Generally speaking, Co-Doms will be slightly cheaper this year because there will be a number of double Co-Doms offered at last year's single Co-Dom price. For example, it may be possible to pick up a Pastave (Mojave x Pastel) for the same price as a Mojave was last year.

This is very good news and shows that the BP market is extremely healthy and GROWING. Breeders who invested in their (visual) animals over the past few years will be in a position to offer more attractive options than those that simply bought hets. There is a grave misconception amongst some people that the BP market has crashed. I don't believe it has for one minute and, having recently spoken at length to this country's premier retailer of BP morphs and hearing him complain of a lack of stock, it's heartening to have that opinion justified.

Yesterday's Pastel is today's Bumble Bee and tomorrow's Killer Bee. Everyone can jump into this wonderful hobby at precisely the level they feel comfortable at knowing they can climb the morph ladder through dedication, skill and a little bit of luck. Want to make a quick buck? Stick it on red (or black) at roulette and hope your luck is in. Want to have a rewarding pastime - first choose the goal, then set your limits and finally select and buy your animals.

And to fully answer your question - prices haven't changed at all in the last 10 years RELATIVE to supply. And they never will - it's a fundamental tenet of capitalism.

My rant is over (for the present) and I wish you every success with your new acquisition(s). Smile

Wow what a full and concise answer - that sunshine must be charging the old brain cells up.
DrAdam
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Medusan wrote:

Excellent reply dave Wink

Never take life too seriously, no-one gets out alive anyway
quasimodo
Forum Granny

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just know that a morph that I sooooo wanted last year, a Lesser, is selling this year for about half of last years price. Surprised It means that now I can afford to get one, and so will many others, therefore the market will expand.

Last year Spiders dropped hundreds of pounds from the Spring to the Winter, BUT, mabe they dropped a bit too far Question Would not be surprised if the price of Spiders goes back up a wee bit this year 'cos I have been told that not as many will be bred this year. We will see....

Sue
woodage
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This type of thread always comes up at this time of year.

Bottom line is this, prices this year will do what they do EVERY year. GO DOWN. They will be higher at the beginning of the season and get lower as breeders want to clear their racks. If a morph averaged £500 in 07, expect to be able to pick it up this year at £300. Spiders going up in price!!!??? Yea right.
mike h
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quote]If a morph averaged £500 in 07, expect to be able to pick it up this year at £300. Spiders going up in price!!!??? Yea right.[/quote]

What will happen is this, the prices will drop that low that it will no longer be worth importing snakes to the u.k. or selling in hamm etc. So then a shortage will happen that will push prices back up. As only u.k. CB will be available. This is on the basis of rising fuel prices and eventual shortages.
OR
My theory could be wrong, the glut of unwanted offspring abroad could be that wild that they will just flood the market and make a total collapse, a one last fling so to speak to get the last buck out of us before it all goes bust.

I like teh first theory best Very Happy except for the fuel bit Embarassed but both could be rubbish. Wink
mike
The Medusan
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smileyculture wrote:
Wow what a full and concise answer - that sunshine must be charging the old brain cells up.

Thank you. Razz £6.5K?
The Medusan
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrAdam wrote:
Excellent reply dave Wink

Cheers, Adam!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: