Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need to get breeding size royals what age/size?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baz300
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Need to get breeding size royals what age/size? Reply with quote

Hi

Im looing to get some royals to breed for the coming season (08/09) i think i can use 07 males but would i be right in thinking ill need to get at least 06 females?

thanks
hogboy
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1500g's + females.
Not a good idea to get WC females, they tend to take an age to cycle
from what i have heard and read.
Check out http://www.blogtalkradio.com/reptileradio
Lots of very good info in these podcasts, especially the adam wysocki , Graziani, barcyck, mandi ones.
Cant reccomend them enough.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

females seem to be most likely to breed from their third winter, I have a couple of girls that laid after mating during their second winter (so were approx 18 months old, and laid when they were approx 2 years old) but most didn't (but this year they have, even though they aren't much bigger).

The lightest female I have that is gravid weighs 1206 grams and is waiting to lay four eggs. She is an 05 pastel and also bred last year producing 4 eggs.

I also have an 06 female that was 1354 grams before laying 4 eggs this year, she lost 30% body weight after laying.

I would say that really you should aim for a min of 1200grams at the beginging of the season, they can still put on the extra 300+ grams during the breeding season. Remember though, once bred you lose a lot of growing time (as the female takes while to get back into shape) so it's sometimes worth skipping a year to get the female that little bit bigger.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: