Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canon or Nikon r Other??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Photography & Photos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WelshBoa
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Canon or Nikon r Other?? Reply with quote

I have had my camera stolen or lost when on holiday but luckily didnt lose any snaps and have consequently been sent £460 worth of Jessop vouchers for a new one off my home insurance which included other random stuff in bag to make it up to that price.

I am an amatuer when it comes to picture taking, my last camera being a Minolta Dimage Z5.

Am looking for a digital SLR and after researching am looking at a Canon EOS 450D from a completely impartial view having read reviews. I have heard its better than the 400 which probably wasnt worth upgrading from the D300?

I know Stuart on here loves the Nikons.....but in that price range their reviews (looking on several sites) dont seem to come up as any better, if not worse. But I only base this on reviews on no personal knowledge.

I have to pay £100 excess but if it means adding a bit more cash for a better camera again (within reason) would look at doing that.

Any suggestions? I know there are Sony & Pentax SLR's but think its probably wise to stay within Canon or Nikon although admittedly probably wouldnt use half their features immediately.
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH mate there isn't much between canons and nikons as long as you compare like for like..but the d300 really takes some beating at its price.
I wouldn't go for Pentax or sony purely because there are much more lenses etc available in nikon and canon mount..Whatever brand you choose you won't go far wrong..but I went for nikon as I already had some nikon lenses and found them to feel sturdier whereas the canons felt plasticky and were too small for my hands..Go to a shop and handle a few see what you think. Cool
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stuart,

Was hoping you would see this thread....as you mention in most of the reviews it has mentioned Canon's feel plasticky or cheap...something I am not too fond of have to admit.

Can see your point if I already had zoom lenses and as you say have not really considered Sony or Pentax who have some decent compacts etc but wonder if they would have the longetivity in an SLR.

Will have a scan at the D300 cameras now...

Thanks for the quick response!
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Your welcome mate..as a side note I have even heard of a few canon owners switching to nikon after the release of the d300! Wink
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

**coughs**

Just seen the price of the D300 for body only.....!

Cant stretch that far unfortunately, compared to price of 450D.

What was the Nikon below that?
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats your budget?
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as per post got £460 to play with and if it meant adding another £100 or so for a far superior camera (which is probably unlikely) would go to that or maybe a tiny bit more......

For what I use if for dont see much point in going further than that at the moment.

Cheers
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Sorry mate...teach me for scan reading!..I would go for a used D200 mate..superb camera and at that price point you wont get much better..plenty of mint examples around since the release of the d300..
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to a camera shop and play with a few cameras before you spend any money (and spend it online rather than in a shop - it'll go further).

I couldn't get on with Nikons or the xxxD range of Canons, but the 40D felt like it was made for me to use - so I bought that. There's nothing between Canon or Nikon really, but the one that you feel happiest with is the best camera for you.

Only proviso I would put on that - if you have rich friends who are dead into photography with SLRs, buy the same brand as they use and borrow their lenses!
WelshBoa
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi toyah and thanks for response too. I do most of my shopping online for best deals but unfortunately as its through my insurance co I am stuck to purchasing in jessops. I know they used to do online price matches but don't know whether they will still do that with insurance vouchers. Saying that when I spoke to the lady from jessops insurance she said they retail the 450d at £470 which seems cheaper than a lot online. Will also see what's on the used stuff in there but I think jessops have also cut down on their used stock. Pretty annoyed as I was so worried about being covered forgot to ask about replacement sd cards etc and bag
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Photography & Photos All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: