Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Livefeeding...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart Marquis
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But it is still alive.

My point is that they are all alive and as such should all have an equal chance at living.

I understand that a fly is different to a human but only because we dominate the earth.
If you are religious then GOD made all living things.

I'm not sure its possible to give every living thing an equal chance of living in the captive environment. Either you prioritize the life of your pet (your cham) or you prioritize the life of the cricket; they can't both survive. I'm also not sure that they have an equal chance of survival in the wild either so I guess God (or by its proper name, evolution) doesn't want to play fair either!

Stuart
Jase
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynne wrote:
can i add, your in trouble. i read your forum. Laughing Laughing

Confused That forum runs itself Cool

Lynne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aye it will have to if i get hold of you!!!!
good job i have a sense of humour.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, i found this on rfuk.

Quote:
from the secretary of states standards of modern zoo practice:

Although the Protection of Animals Acts 1911 to 1964 do not prohibit the feeding of
animals with live prey, the live feeding of vertebrate prey should be avoided save in
exceptional circumstances, and then only under veterinary advice. Where any live prey
must be used, its welfare must be considered as well as any potential injury which might
be caused to the predator.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-countryside/gwd/zooprac/pdf/zooprac.pdf

Whats your views on this?

www.masterpeaceartwork.com
Jase
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

royalpython wrote:
Just a thought, i found this on rfuk.

Quote:
from the secretary of states standards of modern zoo practice:

Although the Protection of Animals Acts 1911 to 1964 do not prohibit the feeding of
animals with live prey, the live feeding of vertebrate prey should be avoided save in
exceptional circumstances, and then only under veterinary advice. Where any live prey
must be used, its welfare must be considered as well as any potential injury which might
be caused to the predator.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-countryside/gwd/zooprac/pdf/zooprac.pdf

Whats your views on this?

royalpython
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did notice the zoo bit, but wondered if this applied to personal collections as well. Maureen Collinson seems to think if we livefeed our snakes we're breaking the law.

www.masterpeaceartwork.com
woodage
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I breed my own rodents for my snakes. I feed both live and defrost depending on what the snake will eat. I dont like or enjoy feeding live because I love rats, mice and animals in general. The rodents in my care are looked after, have fresh water, food, bedding and things to play on. They are kept in suitable groups and are happy animals. They are fed on a varied diet and are cherished as living things, not just snake food.

As snake keepers we have to take responsibility for our actions. When you feed a defrost, you are still feeding a rodent that has died for the purpose of being fed to a snake. By buying that rodent you are just as responsible for its death as if you had pre killed or fed live. Don't think that just because you don't feed live you are any more animal friendly. The animal will die by suffocation weather at the hands of a rodent breeder or a snake.

By feeding live I get much less waste than feeding defrost. How many times have you had to throw away a defrost rodent because it wasn't eaten??? This to me is a horrible waste of a life. You dont get this with live feeding.

The most important thing when feeding live is respect for the prey animal. Videos on you tube of guys laughing when the rodents get constricted are just plain 'cow dung' and can only harm herpetology as a whole.
jakeus
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I breed my own rodents for my snakes. I feed both live and defrost depending on what the snake will eat. I dont like or enjoy feeding live because I love rats, mice and animals in general. The rodents in my care are looked after, have fresh water, food, bedding and things to play on. They are kept in suitable groups and are happy animals. They are fed on a varied diet and are cherished as living things, not just snake food.

I also keep my rats the same. I was thinking about doing an experiment if anybody has tried breeding rats in large cages with toys and chews etc. and breeding rats in lab cages/tubs. I wanted to see if there was any change in the behaviour of the rats and if one gave birth to more young etc.

If anyone has done an experiment similar, please share the results.

Quote:
By feeding live I get much less waste than feeding defrost. How many times have you had to throw away a defrost rodent because it wasn't eaten??? This to me is a horrible waste of a life. You dont get this with live feeding.

I completely agree with this, it's surely worse to throw away defrost animals than too keep a live rat that the snake didnt want.
chrislewis6563
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I completely agree with this, it's surely worse to throw away defrost animals than too keep a live rat that the snake didnt want.

I totally agree with the live feeding part (as of the way of waste) as it was my feeding time last night and i defrosted 1 rat pup 1 small rat and 2 large mice and i have got six to feed, and i still ended up with 1 small rat and 1 large mouse left because they didn't all feed Rolling Eyes what a waste Rolling Eyes If had defrosted the six I would have wasted more Rolling Eyes
Lynne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

defrost less when you know they arent all feeding. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: