Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Livefeeding...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

royalpython wrote:
Lynne wrote:

i got frozen multis last week. but im in scotland. not much help to you.

Hey i'm up in Scotland too Wink Where abouts you getting defrost multi's from? Never heard of any suppliers, but i do live in my own little box really Laughing

oh i never knew you were in scotland. pmed you.
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live feeding has certainly given good results for me in the past in two ways, a steady (not forced) rate of growth and also persuading some (but not all) reluctant feeders to change their ways.

A great deal has already been covered which I won`t repeat about procedure to enable safe (for the snake that is) live feeding of rodents, and is largely just a case of applying common sense.

I would say that whether to live feed or not depends on the situation. It is also very much a case of it being a matter of choice for the individual concerned. It certainly isn`t a taboo subject as far as I am concerned. A great deal depends on the attitude of the keeper. There is nothing more dehumanizing then seeing an individual seemingly rejoice or "get off" at seeing a rodent predated and asphixiated in a captive situation with no chance of escape. This is not to be compared with an admiration of the snake`s efficiency as a predator. The two things are very different.

A rodent during gestation is indeed a beneficial meal for a snake in a nutritional sense, and no doubt animals during gestation as well as lactating individuals are taken with regularity in the wild state as part of the natural order of things (I am not for one moment suggesting that live feeding in a captive situation is the natural order of things, neither is the feeding of defrosted rodents). The fact that prey animals are taken whilst in gestation certainly is the case in our native adder as I have experienced first hand. Making a joke of it is probably not the best approach to adopt for pacifying those that object to the keeping of animals in captivity. I would certainly be inclined not to. Having said that, people that object in an "active" manner to the captive side of herpetology and all that comes with it will more than likely pursue their agenda regadless of such "bad taste" jokes or roughly constructed statements. Doing so will do nothing to help the situation however.
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41

Last edited by Peter Parrot on Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
royalpython
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynne wrote:
royalpython wrote:
i'm not meaning to sound off with anyone hear, but i cant really see much difference in feeding a live large female rat, and a pregnant rat? Should i?

you might not. someone trying to get rid of reps in the country might.

ok i get you Smile

I just figured it must happen anyway, and a pregnant rat would be full of goodness.. Personally i wouldn't see the point, simply because it would be a waste of a rat with potential young. But i do understand what you're saying.. i'll keep my nose out of it Smile

www.masterpeaceartwork.com
Lynne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will too actually. Laughing
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynne wrote:
royalpython wrote:
i'm not meaning to sound off with anyone hear, but i cant really see much difference in feeding a live large female rat, and a pregnant rat? Should i?

you might not. someone trying to get rid of reps in the country might.

but lynne is it really that big of a problem if people feed live rats over there? I mean I wouldn't feed a pregnant rat to my animals but that's more coz I think it is a waste of ratpups that I can feed to my little uns. if people are prepared to feed a live raat why would feeding a pregnant live rat be any different? they both don't like what's gonna happen really. glad I live in amsterdammed hahaha no problems here! well no mayor problems I would have to say, coz there's people over here too that make a hussle about people that have snakes and feeding live. but there's no rspc (is it calles that?) that'll come to your door and give you grief about it.
0.5 Royal Python
0.1 Royal Python Spider
1.0 Royal Python Jungle Pastel (Graziani)
1.0 Royal Python Mojave
0.2 Royal Python Labyrinth
Lynne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let me explain. i dont care. as long as its not my pregnant rat, its not my concern. but in the uk there are various organisations desparate to ban the keeping of reptiles. and they will probably use every little thing against those who do keep them. so anyone who belongs to these organisations, reads what was written, then reports 'oh this guy on this forum feeds pregnant rats to his snakes, that means they all do'.
its not me that objects, i dont care as long as i stick to my beliefs and dont do it.
so can i ask you nicely this time, to please get off my back. i was simply pointing out what could happen if the wrong person read what was written.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynne wrote:
let me explain. i dont care. as long as its not my pregnant rat, its not my concern. but in the uk there are various organisations desparate to ban the keeping of reptiles. and they will probably use every little thing against those who do keep them. so anyone who belongs to these organisations, reads what was written, then reports 'oh this guy on this forum feeds pregnant rats to his snakes, that means they all do'.
its not me that objects, i dont care as long as i stick to my beliefs and dont do it.
so can i ask you nicely this time, to please get off my back. i was simply pointing out what could happen if the wrong person read what was written.

I didn't realise that you took this as an attack on your opinion, because that was absolutely not what i ment by it. sorry that you feel I was getting on your back. Also it is stupid of me not te realise that your concerne is with possible actions from certain groups. so I apologise to you and please i was not trying to get on your back in any way

(hhmm that sounds a bit corny actually)
0.5 Royal Python
0.1 Royal Python Spider
1.0 Royal Python Jungle Pastel (Graziani)
1.0 Royal Python Mojave
0.2 Royal Python Labyrinth
Lynne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bumblebee wrote:
Lynne wrote:

I didn't realise that you took this as an attack on your opinion, because that was absolutely not what i ment by it. sorry that you feel I was getting on your back. Also it is stupid of me not te realise that your concerne is with possible actions from certain groups. so I apologise to you and please i was not trying to get on your back in any way

(hhmm that sounds a bit corny actually)

hahahahahahahahaha Laughing Laughing Laughing
its a figure of speech bumblebee. no offence was taken, and i certainly didnt mean any offence to you.
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you are saying Lynne. Certain groups ONLY CHOSE to read the little bits of info that help their cause.

My concern here is that people don't like to talk about live feeding but I have to live feed everyday. Maybe upto 10 aday to just one pet.
(Now I know this is about royals but my cham eats LIVE crickets. Why are crickets ok to be eaten live but rats create concern)?
My point is obviously about live feeding. I know foir sure that my royal kills far more humanly then the chameleon dose. At least the rat is dead before it is eaten unlike these poor crickets.

Gone off a bit here but live feeding is live feeding no matter what animal/insect is fed to what.

Go-on Have a Look...
http://www.mycampage.com/chameleon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: