Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Livefeeding...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bumblebee
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah exactly, i will feed the royals good but won't powerfeed them
0.5 Royal Python
0.1 Royal Python Spider
1.0 Royal Python Jungle Pastel (Graziani)
1.0 Royal Python Mojave
0.2 Royal Python Labyrinth
Rad
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i started to live feed cos of the waste i was getting with defrost and as i breed my own rats i know what they have been fed on.

Although i do have two royals that dont like to feed live but will always take a d/f, also i have some that will take both. But for me i live fed (only my royals) due to time and no waste Wink
Lynne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott W wrote:
You don't need to 'bow out' the thread is about live feeding and a common observation is snakes fed live (or fresh kill) grow quicker than those on defrost.

Now common sense would suggest that snakes don't find many defrost prey items in the wild, so if they grow quicker on live or fresh kill who's to say that that's actually wrong and unnatural in terms of growth? Perhaps feeding frozen is actually stopping the snake growing at it's own pace?

just 'food for thought' Wink Laughing

well i can only go with d/f as thats what i feed, and tbh if my spider put it on any faster i would be accusing myself of powerfeeding. which i dont do or believe in either. i would imagine that, like humans, differant things will put weight on differant snakes. mine are putting on extremely well at the minute, but they are fed once a week on defrost.

and tbh i would name all the mice and rats and end up with colonies of them and still having to buy frozen. so i will stick to frozen and save me money.
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tis tricky one, I would be hesitant to feed a £1000 royal a live rat just because it is fasting for a few months and risk having a dead or injured royal, on the other hand I have used live to start babies and then switch to defrost.
At the end of the day it's an individual thing but personally I would go with if everything else fails approach, before using live, except for starting off hatchlings.

mike
rachel132002
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I start 90% of my royals on live because i'd just rather get food in those tummies before fannying about with tricks etc but i always offer defrost as first feeds just to see, if they take then that's it defrost from then on, if not live to defrost.

Bigger ones, those that i can't get to take defrost have live, i got a royal from Scott last year a pastel who ate defrost fine but then stopped and was losing weight so i put a live in to see if it'd help and bang, gone and now defrost isn't sniffed but live goes down happily.

I prefer defrost just because i can't keep lots of rats to breed and it's costly local for live and my other supplier lives too far away really and i think he should be more considerate and either let me live in his nice fancy house or move closer but anyhoo, defrost also means i can just go to the freezer whenever's easy and get some out to thaw - live i have to plan.

Those snakes of mine that feed on live do grow quicker than those on defrost and most of those don't even eat as often because i can't get it as easily.

It's not so much a case of feed live for them to grow faster in a non-beneficial way like powerfeeding does but live offered on a good schedule does make them grow faster because it is more nutritional it would seem.

Rach
2 BCC
2 JCP
2 Leos
1 Beardy
2 Cresties
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jakeus
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone found that the breeder female rat suddenly becomes more aggressive after giving birth and staying like it?!
Jase
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jakeus wrote:
Has anyone found that the breeder female rat suddenly becomes more aggressive after giving birth and staying like it?!

I don't know about that, BUT if you want a bit of extra 'OOMPH' in your snake, then feed them live pregnant prey - full of lovely jubbly growing stuff Cool

Lynne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jase wrote:
jakeus wrote:

I don't know about that, BUT if you want a bit of extra 'OOMPH' in your snake, then feed them live pregnant prey - full of lovely jubbly growing stuff Cool

do you not think livefeeding has a bad enough name without you writing that. how the hell do you know WHO is reading this.
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynne wrote:
Jase wrote:
jakeus wrote:

do you not think livefeeding has a bad enough name without you writing that. how the hell do you know WHO is reading this.

hahahahaha LOL it's been put a bit rough, but absolutely true Very Happy
0.5 Royal Python
0.1 Royal Python Spider
1.0 Royal Python Jungle Pastel (Graziani)
1.0 Royal Python Mojave
0.2 Royal Python Labyrinth
Jase
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynne wrote:

Why does it have a bad name? That's because people don't admit they do it and stick up for it so it only ever gets spoken about in a negative manner by hippies and band wagoners

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: