Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

QT & HYGIENE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dracowoman2
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Rachel, I've just been reading the clinical data on the manufacturers site, very interesting reading I have to say, and all that says about inhalation is that you should avoid it long term and that inhalation is non-toxic, not sure i would want to risk it though. Lynne I would imagine it would only need to be until the bomb had finished going off and the air had cleared s they rate it as non-toxic. I believe it was used at quite high rates during the Foot and Mouth outbreaks and to treat fowl for the nasties they can get. Damned expensive but i think I'll be going the whole hog with F10 I can't really afford not to now the collection is growing, and £59 for the disinfectant isn't bad when it's mixed with water to make a spray version, a little goes a VERY long way!

"Life without animals isn't life, they give much and take little"

Claire
Lynne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i remember using something like that in the living room, but you had to keep all living things out for 24 hours. Shocked that wasnt for snakes though. one of the dogs brought in unwelcome visitors. you dont realise how much you miss your living room till you cant go in it!

but like you say, its working out where to put all the snakes.
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could do with a bomb that does the whole house, mind I'd get some funny looks sitting in the car with the engine running surrounded by snakes and geckos trying to keep them all toasty till they could go back into their houses Laughing Mind get rid of the damned woodlice and ants though Evil or Very Mad

"Life without animals isn't life, they give much and take little"

Claire
*A*
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at the mo i only have 2 reps since the lil rankins went to new homes, but i always wash hands between handling the royal and the leo, when the royal arrived he was in a plastic faunarium and kept away from the leo for a few months till they both moved into the stack.
I use Safe4pets disinfectant solution, and i find it brilliant it kills practically everything, parvo, mrsa, salmonella etc.
The cresties will be going into a new tank and in a seperate room to the other 2, think i may have to sort out a second tank as it doesnt look like the cresties will be arriving together.
You guys have your work cut out with so many reps, but its great to see!!
Lynne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you get into a routine anna. you will too. cause you are bound to get more. it isnt work, its pleasure. even last night when the cinny pooed in her water and the smell would have knocked out the whole village!!!! Shocked
Forum Granny

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: QT & HYGIENE Reply with quote

Lynne wrote:
i think a thread on this too would be interesting. so whats everyones quarintining methods, and how hygienic are you when handling and cleaning out your snakes?

I am VERY good, make sure that I lick my hands clean after each snake, especially if they have poo'd Wink Rolling Eyes
Lynne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: QT & HYGIENE Reply with quote

quasimodo wrote:
Lynne wrote:
i think a thread on this too would be interesting. so whats everyones quarintining methods, and how hygienic are you when handling and cleaning out your snakes?

I am VERY good, make sure that I lick my hands clean after each snake, especially if they have poo'd Wink Rolling Eyes

gives it that extra special taste sue!!!!! Laughing
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good thread , great subject .

all new royals that arrive here are QT'd for three months , checking on condition ,tone , behaviour as well ! . fecal matter is not tested , UNLESS it looks dodgy , then it is sent to vets ( poo's are very good at going to vets , they , unlike pets , dont seem to mind going ! )

all are kept in another room in a WARDROBE Exclamation yup in the bedroom , Laughing its actually ideal , quiet , warm enuff ( stat'ed mats as well ) , nice and dark when door closed , light and airy when open. big bonus is ....my daughters NEVER get to ''borrow'' my stuff pmsl.

like most they have there own tongs for feedin ( when they do feed that is ! ) also use separate water bowls and hides , after use they are all sanitised and deep cleaned , tubs included. I only use paper towelling as a substrate , use and ditch .

I have a supply of hand sanitiser , used between handling ( kept too minimum when in QT )

so all in all pretty much like most on here.

We do not stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing.
bumblebee
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I believe that you all are gonna think of me as a complete idiot but I have never ever used any soap of liquid to clean my hands when I handle the snakes Embarassed when I get an new arrival, it is been put in a spare viv that i have but only for 2 weeks. in these 2 weeks i treat her/him preventive for mites with loxazol and check if the poo looks normal. after that it can go into the room where the snakes are, which is in my livingroom haha please don't forget i live in amsterdam and houses her are truely tiny Very Happy i've been keeping snakes now for 20 years and had 2 occasions that i didn.t seperate the new one straight of and both times i got mites. other than that i just don't see the need for all that hygiene stuff. do you know through what filth these animals go in the wild??
0.5 Royal Python
0.1 Royal Python Spider
1.0 Royal Python Jungle Pastel (Graziani)
1.0 Royal Python Mojave
0.2 Royal Python Labyrinth
Lynne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aye, but even the 2 weeks you treat them for mites and observe them is QTing. so you do do it!!! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: