Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

QT & HYGIENE
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: QT & HYGIENE Reply with quote

i think a thread on this too would be interesting. so whats everyones quarintining methods, and how hygienic are you when handling and cleaning out your snakes?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no one have any??? naughty naughty people!!!!! Very Happy
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm here Lynne Smile I quarantine for 3 months in a seperate room, I run and air purifier next to the quarantine rack, any animals I have in quarantine get fed, cleaned etc last after every other animal at which point I get a good scrubbing as well, and if I handle them at all I usually change my clothes as well Embarassed I'm moving over the using F10 hand sanitiser, disinfectant and I will also about twice yearly use the F10 bomb which is a canister that you stand in the middle of the room and let it off, it disperses into the room and dininfects all surfaces, I will of course remove all animals first Laughing All quarantine animals are also housed on paper rather than aspen. I also use a similar method for geckos etc as well.

Good idea for a thread Lynne Very Happy Did I miss anything?

"Life without animals isn't life, they give much and take little"

Claire
Lynne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, to be honest, its best in a QT viv to use disposable hides. have kitchen roll as substrate. separate tongs. and i normally do the ones in the snake room one day, and the QT ones the next. that way im not going near the QT ones when im doing the snake room ones.
any food discarded or even ignored by ANY snake, not just the QT ones is bucketed. unless its been extra and not been in another tub or viv.
i did go overboard at one point and scrub and sanitise my hands after every snake. but they live next to each other. so normally i do that after each species, although i do sanitise my hands after each snake.
i have 6 sets of tongs. one for each of royals, corns, the rat, the hoggy and the boas. and a wee set for the hoppers. to catch them. Very Happy
i dont do it for a month or three, i do it till im satisfied and happy the new guy is fine.
i know loads of people who have feacal tests etc done, but to be honest i would only do them if the poo looked weird.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would be interesting to learn how the big breeders and shops QT. as well as all the rest of us. Very Happy
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all of that Lynne, and I don't half go through disinfectant Embarassed I keep everything seperate, I even have 2 bowls per snake one for clean and one to use, and the QT ones are kept downstairs with the QT animals, they usually go through the dishwasher as well. I also use seperate tongs, but I have one set for QT animals and one set for the others, they get dipped into F10 in between each snake. I always use disposable or plastic hides for all my geckos, that way they can be thrown out when dirty. I also treat all my new snakes for mites as soon as they arrive just as a precautionary measure.

Would be interesting to see how the shops do it I agree Very Happy

Claire
Lynne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i find it hard to believe that only 2 people practise QT.
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We’re obviously in the minority Lynne Laughing Either that or no-one else is awake yet Laughing

Claire
Lynne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we need a prize claire.
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I do quarantine, not as specific as i only have one royal Laughing
I use my mums room for quarantine, they have at least 2 months or so in there, i feed them at a different time to the ones in my room [a different night]
I make sure they are eating regualrly, and have 'standard' poos.
I also wash hands between quarantine and the others.
Only with soap and water, you may say im not as good as you are at quarantine, but it works for me, i dont use special hand stuff, also when in my room with my collection, i dont wash between each animal/species, they are all in the same room so i dont see the need.
They are all healthy, if any animal looks like it may be going down hill is is seperated, to its own enclosure.
Most of my animals are housed on paper towel which is changes when needed, although the royal is now on aspen, and some of my geckos require sand.
Anyways im blabbing.
I am happy with the way i do it, but if you feel the need give me some hints and tips. Very Happy

:.Rhacodactylus.:.Eublepharis.:.Stenodactylus.:.Nephrurus.:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: