Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Switching to Defrost - hints & tips
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Switching to Defrost - hints & tips Reply with quote

Just wondered if we could get a good thread going with tips and info on switching live feeders over to defrost.

I know there's no hard and fast rules, with some pythons feeding on defrost one day and then refusing for the next 6 months but I'm sure we all have different ways of getting success(eventually Laughing ) Question

If we have enough good info, we can make the thread a 'sticky' Shocked Laughing

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Dracowoman2
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just defrost the rats and heat them with a jet engine hairdryer, but I make sure the head is reading abot 100f then dangle them into the tub on the end of 18" forceps and make the rat move like a live one. It's a bit Punch and Judy to watch but does seem to work Laughing Mind I've only got the one to take so far, still have another 2 to convince Laughing

"Life without animals isn't life, they give much and take little"

Claire
Dracowoman2
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry as of 5 minutes ago ish I lied in my previous post, now have 2 converted Very Happy

Claire
Lynne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iv never had to do it, and i wouldnt like to have to do it. dont you go from live to fresh killed for a few weeks, then onto defrost.
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 of mine have just gone straight over from live to defrost, just one left to convert now, she's a stubborn bitch mind!! Hopefully next go around she'll learn the error of her ways Laughing They are rather LARGE girls mind so it;s more of a challenge but we're getting there slowly Smile I'm really glad I could miss out the bit in the middle, I don't have the stomach for it, would have had to given Paul the hang man noose and hood Laughing

Claire
Lynne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aye there is no way i could do the middle bit im afraid. and the guy next door used to get my mum in to catch spiders, so i doubt he would have the guts!!!!! Laughing Laughing
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some of the adult's i got off ralph davis had only ever been fed live and were a pain in the buttock's to switch over but moving first to fresh killed worked for some but not other's Sad i have found that multi's are quite appealing to some that liked live,these now feed on df multi's.the only snag with multi's is that you really need to breed your own as they are very expensive to buy and the suplies arent very reliant like rats and mice.live feeding sucks Sad
royalpython
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had any live feeders, but i have had troubled royals and used live on the odd occasion - not a preference of mine, i don't like it really.

Thought i'd echo Jamies comment though about the multi's. I used live to snap out an 11 month fast from a female of mine. She soon started taking defrost multi's no bother at all. I have to breed mine like Jamie does... but i am also seeing a very positive effect on those not so regular feeders by using multi's... i now have some seriously good feeders throwing down the multi's (that were previously quite crap)... i have found a few times that attempting to switch can throw them off as well... so i just stick to what they like now - completely given up on switching... i think it suits them more (my personal experience anyway. I've had very limited success switching from mice and multi's to rats.... i really don't think it's worth the hassle

Oh... and i really enjoy the breeding of multi's Very Happy

www.masterpeaceartwork.com

Last edited by royalpython on Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
RoyalCrazy
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breeding Laughing One of my females only ate mice and I had tried all the tricks with no luck until I started breeding her when I offered her a rat and she took and a few more after that then she went off food for obvious reason and after laying eggs she’s been pounding down rats.... So it might worth a try offering your snakes a rat during breeding season or at the end after they have been off food for a long period of time…. This might just be luck but I thought I might as well tell you lol. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

royalpython wrote:
I've never had any live feeders, but i have had troubled royals and used live on the odd occasion - not a preference of mine, i don't like it really.

Thought i'd echo Jamies comment though about the multi's. I used live to snap out an 11 month fast from a female of mine. She soon started taking defrost multi's no bother at all. I have to breed mine like Jamie does... but i am also seeing a very positive effect on those not so regular feeders by using multi's... i now have some seriously good feeders throwing down the multi's (that were previously quite crap)... i have found a few times that attempting to switch can throw them off as well... so i just stick to what they like now - completely given up on switching... i think it suits them more (my personal experience anyway. I've had very limited success switching from mice and multi's to rats.... i really don't think it's worth the hassle

i got 3 gerbils 2 weeks ago just to see if they were any quicker at taking them. they loved the gerbils. so i tried 2 multis the next week. i have to say mine prefered the gerbils.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: