Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is she obese?! (acanthurus)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miffikins
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Is she obese?! (acanthurus) Reply with quote

So I've been away from home since end of April and I went home at the weekend after finishing my exams, and found that my female is even more of a beast now than when we got her!

When we got her I thought she was chunky, maybe due to a few too many rodents so fed her only insects (we only occasionally feed pinkies anyway), roaches, hoppers, crickets, mealie and waxies. But she seems to have got fatter....

My other half has been looking after her, feeding her once every 2-3 days. Shes pooping as I saw her do it on saturday Laughing so she isn't bunged up...I thought she looked gravid but we've had her since feb/march time and shes been housed by herself. I also thought that maybe I'm overreacting as my male is quite slender and its me making a comparison against him...

What do you guys think?? Is she toooo fat??

Cheers in advance

Kate Very Happy

EDIT: Excuse her grubby-ness, shes in need of a bath!
Bohan
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She could be gravid but if not she looks a bit on the plump side but dont worry as she will easily burn this off just lessen the food and amount given.
If you think she is gravid then keep the feeding as it is as she will need it for developing good healthy eggs Smile

2.0.0 Varanus glauerti.
1.1.0 Varanus a brachyurus.
1.1.0 Chlamydosaurus kingii.
1.3.4 Lacerta vivipera.
miffikins
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have thought about her being gravid but before I got her she was housed with another female and my male hasn't even been in the same house as her yet.

She was very skitty when we got her so she has been left mostly in the viv to settle, but as she is more confident with coming to us now she will be out for more excercise which will hopefully burn some off. Barney our male is always out running up and down the hallway and stuff so he's not a bit of fat on him Laughing

She is still going mad for crix and roaches though, so shes clearly hungry. I just don't want to cut down her food anymore and her end up laying, or keep feeding her and her get fatter! Bless her...

Kate
dantro
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well she is definitely a bit round eh?! ...
When my female was gravid she kinda went off her food til she laid then she was straight back on it, how long has she been like that for? ...
Very Happy
miffikins
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shes been chubby since we got her and we've been trying to get her to lose some weight by offering only insects, but shes getting bigger! So I think we're goin to have to decrease feedng frequency to twice a week or something....

Little fatty!!
dantro
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She sure is! .. Cute though! Very Happy
miffikins
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She is Very Happy Sweet little thing too, shes now getting more confident with us but still ocassionally tries to hide her head if you move to quickly, bless her!
VaranusCam
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOOoooooo she fat.... i mean, shes like BAM!! Man she so fat that... NO! listen listen, this is a good one... SHE IS SO FAT THAT..... ye ye she fat...

but she is a good looking ackie love the red
Siebren
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, she is chubby... Being this condition however you could try breeding her to a male. Ackie clutches demand huge amounts of energy from the females. Yours has enough to produce a very nice clutch (and loose weight whilst doing it!)

If you breed her do not forget to keep feeding her lots. She has a reserve but must take in more energy (and esp. calcium!) for eggs to come out white and tight!

Good luck!
Siebren
miffikins
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, shes is goin in with my 2 year old male in the next few weeks, I just have to build a bigger viv as they are each in a 4x2 neither of which are big enough for both of them!

I just cant believe how fat she is compared to my male Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small! All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: