Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dazzlah
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: HELP! Reply with quote

Just checked on my gravid female today and she has had her pre-lay shed - she shed fine apart from her head, which I'm not worried about - After examining her head and jaw I noticed her lips seem to be raised slightly on the sides and can see clear fluid - only thing I can think of is URI! I've been so careful to make sure she's been comfortable during this whole process maybe the stress of egg building has set this off!? Temps are all fine as all my snakes are kept in the same 4 tub rack. I raised the humidity for her shed by dampening the aspen bedding - could this have caused the problem? I've put her on paper towels now - raised the temp and put a towel over the front of her tub section to reduce any stress - Advice from experienced ball keepers would be greatly appreciated!

2.3 Ball Pythons
(1.1 norms, 1.2 high contrast albino's)
royalpython
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how to deal with this at the minute because she's gravid. If she has an RI i'd maybe nebulise her with F10 diluted to 1:250 water, but because she's gravid i wouldn't know if this might have an adverse affect on her. Vet does sound like a good idea.

I never normally spray any of mine, in fact, i cant remember the last time i did (hatchlings get a water bowl tipped over every couple of days until their first shed). I prefer leaving them be, and if they do have a bad shed, i'm happy letting them soak in water for a night, and it's never failed me yet.

www.masterpeaceartwork.com
Lynne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think vet would be safest thing, although im not too sure what you mean!!! has all her shed came off ok? i must admit i do what royalpython does, i dont spray, sometimes move the water to warm end and never have a problem.
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep vet her, she'll be weaker than normal if gravid and laying will knock 10 shades of *cough* out of her too.

For now:

Up the temps and humidity, this will help her clear it all by thinning mucus and warming the air more.

See if you can order some F10 disinfectant and get a cheap nebuliser from ebay or maplins and dillut the F10 1:200 with water and nebulise that for 20mins twice a day.

Rach
2 BCC
2 JCP
2 Leos
1 Beardy
2 Cresties
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dazzlah
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

royalpython wrote:
I'm not sure how to deal with this at the minute because she's gravid. If she has an RI i'd maybe nebulise her with F10 diluted to 1:250 water, but because she's gravid i wouldn't know if this might have an adverse affect on her. Vet does sound like a good idea.

I never normally spray any of mine, in fact, i cant remember the last time i did (hatchlings get a water bowl tipped over every couple of days until their first shed). I prefer leaving them be, and if they do have a bad shed, i'm happy letting them soak in water for a night, and it's never failed me yet.

Thats what I was thinking - if she wasn't gravid I'm sure I would be able to treat her with something, i've never had a case like this. I've added an additional heat pad to the back wall of her rack and will ride it out for a few days - if it gets worse i'll get her in to a vet.

I've never sprayed just dampened the aspen to help her shed, do you think too high humidity would cause RI?

2.3 Ball Pythons
dazzlah
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rachel132002 wrote:
Yep vet her, she'll be weaker than normal if gravid and laying will knock 10 shades of *cough* out of her too.

For now:

Up the temps and humidity, this will help her clear it all by thinning mucus and warming the air more.

See if you can order some F10 disinfectant and get a cheap nebuliser from ebay or maplins and dillut the F10 1:200 with water and nebulise that for 20mins twice a day.

Rach

Thanks Rachel - Can I pm you?

2.3 Ball Pythons
Dracowoman2
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think humidity would cause the issue, but nebulising is fantastic I have to admit, she will probably require antibiotic if she's already got fluid bubbling out of her mouth, it shouldn't affect the eggs too much, but the vet will be able to advise better on that one. I think I personally would rather make sure she was ok and hope the eggs are ok rather than the other way around. Cooling and lack of air flow through the tub is what I was advised by a very knowledgable vet are usually the major cause of this, I was advised to use and air extractor in my snake room to draw air through the room and the tubs, apparently you need to have 4 times as many holes int he bottom of your tubs as you do in the top, so that clean air can go in the bottom and pick up anything nasty in the air and push it out of the top. I've got one under the vet myself at the moment with a similar issue and I had lung swabs done to make sure it wasn't anything nasty and resistant to antibiotics, luckily it's just a nasty RI so she's getting nebulised twice a day with as alsready suggested steralised water, F10 in the ratios stated and also baytril in the mix for a targeted attack and also oral Baytril every 48 hours for 4 weeks, which should have it all sorted Smile

Hope that helps and I haven't sounded like I was preaching, just thought it worth passing on what I have learned Very Happy

"Life without animals isn't life, they give much and take little"

Claire
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raise the heat, raise the humidity, keep the cage CLEAN with no mould.

How long has she got to laying?

I had a female do exactly the same, She was 'bubbling' a little but the extra heat and humidty reduced it, she laid her clutch and seems 100% fine again now.

Good luck with your one.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
dazzlah
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracowoman2 wrote:
I think I personally would rather make sure she was ok and hope the eggs are ok rather than the other way around.

I feel this aswell, thanks for your advice, i'll see how she goes.

2.3 Ball Pythons
dazzlah
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott W wrote:
Raise the heat, raise the humidity, keep the cage CLEAN with no mould.

How long has she got to laying?

I had a female do exactly the same, She was 'bubbling' a little but the extra heat and humidty reduced it, she laid her clutch and seems 100% fine again now.

Good luck with your one.

I checked her this morning, have got the temps optimal in her tub now (94/95 hot - 84/85 cool - just to see how she goes in case it is RI) - I can feel the heat radiating from the heat pad at the back, she has shed complete now. one lip seems slightly lower than the other which was better than it was last night - theres no sign of bubbling or blowing and her nostrils are very clear! maybe it could be something else? - I don't want to disturb her to much until she lays to ovoid stress. This was her pre-lay so she still has 35 days or so until she lays. I'll keep you posted.

2.3 Ball Pythons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: