Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with elderly leopards and egg laying

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Geckos - ALL species
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiteraven666
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Problems with elderly leopards and egg laying Reply with quote

Ive recieved a leopard gecko 5-7 year ago and she was around 3 years old when we got her. She was an unwanted pet and she was my first reptile. So shes around 10 years old at least. And lately shes gone off her food and hasnt eaten well for a couple of weeks. Her tail is beggining to look thinner and the skin is much looser. Heather aka Dartfrog had a look at her today and she thinks shes got eggs developing inside her. Im all worried now.

Sadly Heather is in the same boat as me at the moment as she has lost one of her 10 year old females lately and fears the same thing is happening to her other female which is the same age and was kept in the same tank. They were two females with no males present and had been fine without probelms for years until one develeoped eggs. Heather gave her warm bath sand gave her a laying box but sadly lost her. RIP baby Heather thinks she had 4 eggs and im sure they only produce two.

Now were panicking because both of our female leos are around 10 years old (I know they can live up to 20 but i was told by a reptileshop that 10 is a good age) Is 10 a good age? or should they live longer? and both seem to be possibly producing eggs

They have had no contact with males whatso ever. I know mantis lay eggs when theyre about to go as a last ditch attempt to reproduce. Is this the same with leopard geckos or lizards in general.

Thanks for reading
Kelly and Heatherx
Treakle (leopard gecko)
Jake (Baby beardie)
Draven (corn snake)
Denzil (chequered garter snake)
Samson+Mickey (Crested geckos)
Cody (Velvet gecko)
Steve H
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two of my female leos are 12 years old and i'm breeding from them with no problems.They are on their 4th clutch of eggs which is due next week. Very Happy
As your female hasn't been mated she may only ever lay the first clutch and will stop unless prince charming turns up.She will probably continue to develop eggs but they will be reabsorbed by her at about the 1/2 way stage so don't panick when she stops eating. Wink Provide her with a damp hide to lay in but it is also possible eating will stop and she'll reabsorb the first batch too.
whiteraven666
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ok. Thankyou Steve H. I never had a clue they could do that. Last year she did exactly the same thing and stopped eating for AGES for 6 months at least and didnt lose a lot of weight and out of the blue started eating again. Is this her piining to have babies?
Ive given her a icecream tub with moss and cocofibre made very damp and made a hole in it for her. Just in case she decides to lay.
Treakle (leopard gecko)
Jake (Baby beardie)
Draven (corn snake)
Cody (Velvet gecko)
dartfrog
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kelly hows Treakle doing is she showing any interest in her icecream tub? I think I left it too late for my poor baby if only I had checked earlier and gave her a nest laying site Sad Sad
Heatherxxx
whiteraven666
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awww dont blame yourself Heather. These things happen dont they they just hurt really bad when they do.

Treackle didnt show any interest what so ever last night I came home from work today and found her in it. Shocked

She hasnt laid anything and soon went back to her cave to sleep. I got in the shower then when I got out shes back in her icecream tub.
Treakle (leopard gecko)
Jake (Baby beardie)
Draven (corn snake)
Cody (Velvet gecko)
whiteraven666
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treackles hanging around in the icecream tub all the time now. And shes acting a bit strange. Shes a little restless. Do you think shes ready to lay or something. DO you think shes egg bound? Shocked
Treakle (leopard gecko)
Jake (Baby beardie)
Draven (corn snake)
Cody (Velvet gecko)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Geckos - ALL species All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: