Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ratsnake Photoshoot
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Corn, Kings, Rat & Milk snakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJ
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am hear just slow down for me you now how i like to take things real easy Lynne Wink
Poly box , heat pad , small tubs to incubate them in Vermiculite/Perlite most important thing Habistat temp controller and you have an incubator .
Or go to B.Q buy a plant propagator with a temp control on it and use that .
AJ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ailurus
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol cheers lynne.

lol my mum thought i had gone mad, i ran downstairs, and grapped a tupperware container from the kitchen and started cutting a hole in the lid, and she was confused and asked me what i was doing i told her, and she was excited as well lol.

thanks for all the help everybody. I put the laying box in, and it has peat and some substrate from the tank in, which i sprayed with water, to make it damp.

How do i make an incubator?

EDIT:

oh sorry thanks AJ, when u say habistat heat controller do you mean a thermostat?

and how much are those B and Q things?

Snakes: :Pantherophis: :Coelognathus: :Lampropeltis: :Heterodon: :Antaresia:
Lizards: :Rhacodactylus: :Pogona: :Goniurosaurus:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ailurus27

Last edited by Ailurus on Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
quasimodo
Forum Granny

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool In view of the fact that you might need one in roughly 5 minutes time Laughing here are a couple of suggestions to play around with. You are looking for warmth and humidity, sooooo do you have a smallish plastic tub that would hold around 15 small eggs ? Put a couple of inches of vermiculite from Garden Center, or the moss, into box. Have it damp, but not so wet that water can be squeezed out of it as that would be fatal. Holes in sides of box as oxygen is needed by the eggs. Put whole into larger tub with a couple of inches of water in it, and put lid of larger tub firmly on. Oh, put something into the water to rest the smaller tub on so that it is not sitting in the water.

If your reptile room is about 80 degrees all the time put the box in there with a temperature probe poked into the substrate. Look on web, or someone will tell you, to find out required temp for incubation of Corn eggs. I seem to remember about 77 ? The above very simple arrangement should give you the right temperature.

I know that it sounds daft, no extra heat, but if the room is warm enough it works Very Happy If room too cool then put heat mat under tubs, or fish-tank heater into larger tanks water. You just need to get the heat right with high humidity.

All the best.
Lynne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJ wrote:
I am hear just slow down for me you now how i like to take things real easy Lynne Wink
Poly box , heat pad , small tubs to incubate them in Vermiculite/Perlite most important thing Habistat temp controller and you have an incubator .
Or go to B.Q buy a plant propagator with a temp control on it and use that .
AJ

oh aye, i forgot!!!! Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In view of the fact that you might need one in roughly 5 minutes time here are a couple of suggestions to play around with. You are looking for warmth and humidity, sooooo do you have a smallish plastic tub that would hold around 15 small eggs ? Put a couple of inches of vermiculite from Garden Center, or the moss, into box. Have it damp, but not so wet that water can be squeezed out of it as that would be fatal. Holes in sides of box as oxygen is needed by the eggs. Put whole into larger tub with a couple of inches of water in it, and put lid of larger tub firmly on. Oh, put something into the water to rest the smaller tub on so that it is not sitting in the water.

If your reptile room is about 80 degrees all the time put the box in there with a temperature probe poked into the substrate. Look on web, or someone will tell you, to find out required temp for incubation of Corn eggs. I seem to remember about 77 ? The above very simple arrangement should give you the right temperature.

I know that it sounds daft, no extra heat, but if the room is warm enough it works If room too cool then put heat mat under tubs, or fish-tank heater into larger tanks water. You just need to get the heat right with high humidity.

All the best.

wow 5 minutes lol Wink

my room stays at a pretty much constant 74F, except in winter.

would that idea work, but with a fish tank rather than a larger box, because if so i have everything!! (oh except vermiculite and a thermometer)

AJ
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Temps you will be looking to get in the incubation box is about 80 with humidity around about 100% .And no it may take a few days for her to settle in the lay box.
AJ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ailurus
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok cheers AJ.

i am so excited now though, but mustn't get my hopes up too high.

quasimodo
Forum Granny

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Ailurus"]
Quote:
wow 5 minutes lol Wink

my room stays at a pretty much constant 74F, except in winter.

would that idea work, but with a fish tank rather than a larger box, because if so i have everything!! (oh except vermiculite and a thermometer)

Relax, I was only teasing about it being 5 minutes Laughing Yes a fish tank would be even better. When incubating eggs in my kitchen, which is not very warm, I use a fish tank heater lying on its side in the water. As you no doubt know you can adjust the temp of the heater, and then with the probe check that you have got the correct temp in the midst of the substrate. I just use glasses or mugs to raise the inner box out of the water Rolling Eyes All very basic, but hey, it works...

Others may suggest that you use the moss anyway, I use vermiculite 'cos I garden and have some around usually. Rolling Eyes Get it all set up soon so that you have time to sort out the temps.
Lynne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey that fish tank idea is good sue.
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Relax, I was only teasing about it being 5 minutes Yes a fish tank would be even better. When incubating eggs in my kitchen, which is not very warm, I use a fish tank heater lying on its side in the water. As you no doubt know you can adjust the temp of the heater, and then with the probe check that you have got the correct temp in the midst of the substrate. I just use glasses or mugs to raise the inner box out of the water All very basic, but hey, it works...

Others may suggest that you use the moss anyway, I use vermiculite 'cos I garden and have some around usually. Get it all set up soon so that you have time to sort out the temps.

lol i knew were teasing really.

wow thats awesome. i need to get a thermometer with a probe and some vermiculite then. Does the temperature in the box, vary much from that of the water?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Corn, Kings, Rat & Milk snakes All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: