Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feeding feeders
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brew
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Feeding feeders Reply with quote

I've noticed over the last few days my crickets hardly seem to be eating, each day I give them fresh cabbage and carrot and when I take out the previous days it hardly seems to have been touched. I'm a bit concerned the cham is therefore not getting the natural vitamins I would like, the first day or 2 I had them they ate like hell but that seems to have died off. Is there anything you can suggest or is it one of them things? The weird thing is the crickets seem to be growing and virtually none have died in about 10 days.
tigerbaby2k
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the airflow is good and that they have access to water as well as food. Try feeding a variety - small amounts each day. I use all types of green stuff - the darker the better - kale, green beans, peas, brocolli, greens, spinich (spelling!, the stuff popeye eats!), cucumber, watercress- then also use orange things like carrots and orange pepper. Sometimes I add fish food as good source of protein which is lacking in the veg.
I dont have many crickets at one time as I only have the one Beardie now and he mainly has veg. When I get the chams Im going to plan to keep the feeders in open top boxes with UV lights above them I think.

Counting down the weeks til I get my Cham! My beardie is 10 1/2 years old Smile

1.0 Bearded Dragon
1.0 Lhasa apso
1.1 Lionheads
0.1 Syrian Hamster
ClactonJoe
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine seem to last a good week and I put in fresh fruit every day or so. It is sprinkled with that cricket diet you can buy.
They still seem active even after a week.
I also place a piece of fruit covered in that powder into the viv so that they can have a bit while the chameleon stalks them.

I read somewhere that crickets will eat almost anything, even each other if no other food is available. I am sure we are both a bit concerned because we are new to this pet. I do believe if the cham looks good and is eating then we are doing something right.

Go-on Have a Look...
http://www.mycampage.com/chameleon
LeeWarren
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Livefood freshly purchased would have been without food for at least 2 days.

Livefood breeders usually pack their livefood a day before dispatch. So crickets packed Monday for delivery Tuesday would not of eaten from Sunday.

So when the crickets come into contact with food they devour the lot. Over the next few days there guts are full and have no need to binge eat but prefer to graze on their food. Locust are different they will consume everything in sight.

Crickets and locust need to be above room temps to thrive.

To be Honest the livefood needs more care than the Reptile!
Brew
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClactonJoe wrote:
I am sure we are both a bit concerned because we are new to this pet. I do believe if the cham looks good and is eating then we are doing something right.

I'm sure your right Jo, it's just that as they are supposed to eat anything even each other, why they seem to have slowed down their eating rate, the little man is eating, drinking and pooing very well, thing is you don't know what might happen long term that's why I thought I would post the question.
Thanks soph, I will have to try some alternative food I guess and they're not very well ventilated tbh, this being due to them being in a cricket box but they eacaped as the vents were to big for them. They now have paper towell over them and the box to stop them getting out, I've had the bloody things everwhere! I may get some fresh ones this weekend and maybe leave them in the tub they came in.
Brew
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeWarren wrote:
Livefood freshly purchased would have been without food for at least 2 days.

Livefood breeders usually pack their livefood a day before dispatch. So crickets packed Monday for delivery Tuesday would not of eaten from Sunday.

So when the crickets come into contact with food they devour the lot. Over the next few days there guts are full and have no need to binge eat but prefer to graze on their food. Locust are different they will consume everything in sight.

Crickets and locust need to be above room temps to thrive.

To be Honest the livefood needs more care than the Reptile!

Thanks Lee, so if I'm giving them fresh food daily should this be ok, I know I can't force feed them so I guess there's little else I can do?
tigerbaby2k
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeap totally agree Lee. Look after the feeders and they'l look after the lizards.
As Lee said the crickets often eat quickly the first few days. As I only have the one beardie, one box of 60 odd crickets lasts him a good few weeks easily! so I have to take care of them and only ever lose one or two so not bad going Smile I find the hoppers dont last as long -especially once turned locust so when buy them in tend to feed them withing the week or two. Even though they eat everything and drink they dont seem to last long once full grown.

1.0 Bearded Dragon
1.0 Lhasa apso
1.1 Lionheads
0.1 Syrian Hamster
ClactonJoe
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did buy one of them kricket keepers. The ones with the black tubes. It makes dusting and feeding soo much easier. Just funny when you have to transfer them from the plastic tub into the keeper. I do this in the bath as they can't jump that high.

BTW... I am not in the bath at the time. Just the crickets.

Go-on Have a Look...
http://www.mycampage.com/chameleon
tigerbaby2k
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brew wrote:

Thanks soph, I will have to try some alternative food I guess and they're not very well ventilated tbh, this being due to them being in a cricket box but they eacaped as the vents were to big for them. They now have paper towell over them and the box to stop them getting out, I've had the bloody things everwhere! I may get some fresh ones this weekend and maybe leave them in the tub they came in.

What I have used with great succuss is old 1litre ice cream tubs (great as theres an excuse to eat lots of ice cream). I heat a screw driver/skewer over the gas flame on the cooker then carefully punch holes around the box sides - at least 3 rows and 1cm ish apart then holes in the lid. These holes are too small for crickets to get out (unless pinhead ones which your not feeding anyway) adn great for ventilation then. OR you could even cut holes out 2 opposite sides and then put mesh across the gap Very Happy they like lots to climb on away from each other so i use toilet roll tubes and the egg carton things that come with them. Try to avoid keeping the bran that comes in the box with them as its useless and can actually cause harm to the lizard if the feeders eat too much.

[quote=clactonJoe] I did buy one of them kricket keepers. The ones with the black tubes. It makes dusting and feeding soo much easier. Just funny when you have to transfer them from the plastic tub into the keeper. I do this in the bath as they can't jump that high.

BTW... I am not in the bath at the time. Just the crickets [\quote]

Thanks for clarifying that!!! i did wonder!

1.0 Bearded Dragon
1.0 Lhasa apso
1.1 Lionheads
0.1 Syrian Hamster
kroakykaren
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use big plastic storage boxes with tights over the top Laughing Locusts eat spring greens, cabbage and grass. Crickets eat carrot, bee pollen, boiled egg mixed with powdered milk and dandelions Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: