Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Emperor Scorpion Q's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Invertebrates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merry Matt
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Emperor Scorpion Q's Reply with quote

Hey everyone I was contemplating should I get some emperor scorpions Ive read countless caresheets on them (some that contredict each other) and I thought I should get some advice from people who have experience with this species as I really want to do alot of research before buying.

Ive read that its not advisable to handle them and that it stresses them alot but everyone seems to do it and i havent heard of anyone getting stung so is it ok?

Also ive heard that if you pick them up using their tail it can cause their digestive system to fail but I also heard its the best way to pick them up. How do you pick up your scorpions?

Should you use tongs to move them? I know id rather pick them up but these so called "experts" on youtube recommend the use of tongs, yet I also heard tongs can damage the exoskeleton.

I know about them flouresing under a blacklight and on the other hand I heard this is not safe to do. So is it ok?

When it comes to heating Im not sure what to use as heatmats supposedly are bad as if the scorpion gets overheated it will borrow thus heating it more leading to its death. Alternatly I could use a lamp but as these are not a desert species it is apparantly bad for them as it stresses them. So what do I use to heat the enclosure?

Is it smart to keep 5 emps together in a big enclose with at least 6 hiding places? I heard that they are sociable but not keen on sharing living space, if enough hiding places are avialable does this not matter?

Do you have any recommendations on where I should buy my scorpions? Is there a noticable difference in scorpions that are captivly bred and scorpions that are caught in the wild?

I heard that you can be allergic to thieir stings is there any way of checking, can I just go to my GP and ask him to run a test for it?

How thick should the substrate be? (caresheets all seemed to differ when it came to this)

How do you keep the substrate from drying? Or does it stay moist just by the humidity?

Is the cost of keeping them high e.g. is food expensive, is it expensive to change there substrate? Any other expenses after intial set up?

Is it true tht they are more docile if kept in a tank with other emps?

Sorry lots of questions there if there is any other info you think I should know before getting my scorpions please let me know. Or any personal experiences you want to share with me im very interested.
serpent
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ive read that its not advisable to handle them and that it stresses them alot but everyone seems to do it and i havent heard of anyone getting stung so is it ok?

Just because everyone handles emperors doesnt make it right.
I know of several people who have been stung, some when handling and some when doing tank mantainance. People think that because the scorpion does not show any outward sign of stress that it is OK.

Quote:
Also ive heard that if you pick them up using their tail it can cause their digestive system to fail but I also heard its the best way to pick them up. How do you pick up your scorpions?

Total rubbish, I have never heard of such #### before Shocked
The best and simplest way of moving any scorpion is to carefully guide it into a small deli-cup. The second way is to use forceps and carefully grasp the scorpion by the base of the metasoma (tail)

Quote:
Should you use tongs to move them? I know id rather pick them up but these so called "experts" on youtube recommend the use of tongs, yet I also heard tongs can damage the exoskeleton.

Tongs are going a bit over the top. That is like using a hammer to crack an egg. Forceps are fine.

Quote:
I know about them flouresing under a blacklight and on the other hand I heard this is not safe to do. So is it ok?

Unsafe in what way ?

Quote:
When it comes to heating Im not sure what to use as heatmats supposedly are bad as if the scorpion gets overheated it will borrow thus heating it more leading to its death. Alternatly I could use a lamp but as these are not a desert species it is apparantly bad for them as it stresses them. So what do I use to heat the enclosure?

I use heatmats under all of my scorpions with no ill effects. This year my emperors have given birth to around 240 scorplings, so the conditions must be to their liking.

Quote:
Is it smart to keep 5 emps together in a big enclose with at least 6 hiding places? I heard that they are sociable but not keen on sharing living space, if enough hiding places are avialable does this not matter?

As long as there are plenty of hiding places and there is no shortage of food then there shouldnt be any problems.

Quote:
Do you have any recommendations on where I should buy my scorpions? Is there a noticable difference in scorpions that are captivly bred and scorpions that are caught in the wild?

PM sent

Quote:
I heard that you can be allergic to thieir stings is there any way of checking, can I just go to my GP and ask him to run a test for it?

Some pleople MAY be allergic but there is no way of checking apart from being stung !!!!

Quote:
How thick should the substrate be? (caresheets all seemed to differ when it came to this)

How long is a piece of string ?
Everyone has their own way of keeping emperors. If you are going to use a heatmat then the substrate shouldnt be deeper than about 1inch. If the heat source is going to be overhead then as deep as you want.

Quote:
How do you keep the substrate from drying? Or does it stay moist just by the humidity?

Simple ... you dont. The substrate drying out gives the tank its humidity.
Just pour some tepid water into one corner when the substrate dries out to rehydrate it.

Quote:
Is the cost of keeping them high e.g. is food expensive, is it expensive to change there substrate? Any other expenses after intial set up?

No expense at all. I feed my adults 1 locust or 1 cockroach every week, juveniles get fed small crickets twice a week. Substrate get changed once every ....... er .. I forgot .... I've never changed it Laughing
If you are really fussy then I suggest changing it once a year.

Quote:
Is it true tht they are more docile if kept in a tank with other emps?

I think they are more docile if kept in a group. I have some in groups and other kept singly and the singles are definately more agressive.

Anything you want to know just ask Very Happy

One of 16 females that had babies this year

Scorpion rack .... now totally filled and a new larger one needs to be built.

[/quote]
Merry Matt
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Im glad you could clarify everything for me much thanks Very Happy

And you defiantly seem to know what your doing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Invertebrates All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: