Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Check Your Yemen Chameleon eyes!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scorpion251067
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Check Your Yemen Chameleon eyes!!! Reply with quote

Hi, I recently wrote about my little girl having a very bad eye problem, she went to the vets yesterday and had her operation today. I collected her this evening, and sadly the outcome isn't too good, she is alive, but the damage that has occurred is sickening!, please look at your chams eyes, if you notice that they aren't that smooth dome/cone shaped, or you see a little lump in the corner, then there could be a problem, take to a vet ASAP do not leave it best be safe than sorry! She has most probably lost the sight in her right eye, it is still very big, during her operation, the vet found underlying problems with her, her eye isn't in the socket, as the bone on her right side had to be removed, whilst they were operating the vet took the lump away from the left eye too, to avoid the same thing happening to that eye. Duckie has to have an antibiotic injection every 3 days 4 times, if the bleeding in her head does not stop, they are going to totally remove her eye. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad sorry I'm heart broken and feel I've totally let her down. No matter what, I love her whatever the outcome, she is even more precious to me now. Please all just look at your Chameleons eye's Duckie is a veiled Chameleon(chamaeleo calyptratus) Thanks to all that helped with this issue..all the best to you all..Lesley[/size]
dartfrog
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lesely Im so sorry for you Sad Please dont feel youve let Duckie down I know thats easier said than done! It sounds like you couldnt have done anything more for her than youve already have. Does the vet know what caused the damage? Wishing you both all the best Heatherxx
tigerbaby2k
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lesley. Im so sorry this has happened but you have done everything possible and your care for her is the best it could be. please dont be down on yourself, you have done everything right. As long as she is happy and eating and enjoying life once she has recovered properly.
Really hope you pick up in yourself too Smile

Counting down the weeks til I get my Cham! My beardie is 10 1/2 years old Smile

1.0 Bearded Dragon
1.0 Lhasa apso
1.1 Lionheads
0.1 Syrian Hamster
scorpion251067
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is her left eye sorry my mistake. The Vet did say what caused it, but you know how Medical people talk, I can't remember the name she said, but Duckie is back to the Vets on Saturday so I'll get her to write it all down for me, then I can post it on here. The more info about Chameleons the better.
I tried to get her to feed yesterday, but she wasn't having it, but then the anesthetic is still in her system as she is very placid which isn't Duckie at all she is normally aggressive, right attitude, funny isn't it all I've ever wanted is for her to be mellow like the male I have, but now I just want her to show her aggressive side again, then I know she is on the road to recovery, time will tell...Thank you all. Will post her diagnosis Saturday
kroakykaren
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor girl hope she recovers fast, and good luck at the vets on saturday Very Happy
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Check Your Yemen Chameleon eyes!!! Reply with quote

I wanted to try and show what to look out for with your Chams eyes, this is a picture of Duckie when she was a month old, the start of her eye problems. the next picture is what she looks like now post op, the swelling has not gone down at all, her good eye (right) is black as she has stitches around it, bless her, if these pics can help in anyway, it may save your Chams eyesight if treated as early as possible
tigerbaby2k
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for letting us see. How is she doing now? hope the visit today proves well.

Counting down the weeks til I get my Cham! My beardie is 10 1/2 years old Smile

1.0 Bearded Dragon
1.0 Lhasa apso
1.1 Lionheads
0.1 Syrian Hamster
scorpion251067
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Check Your Yemen Chameleon eyes!!! Reply with quote

Duckie is doing OK.. she still isn't herself just yet, but then she has been through quite a lot recently. The vet today said that the blood is accumulating behind the eye, and that she hopes her body will absorb this eventually so the swelling will go down. Her condition and what she has been treated for is Subconjunctival abscess leading to osteomylitis and osteolysis. I can now see her eye in her left socket, which i couldn't see for ages, this doesn't mean she can see out of it though. Next visit for her antibiotic injection is Tuesday. Fingers crossed her eye improves. Thanks everyone for your kind words. Lesley
dartfrog
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lesley so glad Duckie is doing ok hope you are feeling a bit better too!Good Luck for Tuesday.Heatherxx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: