Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sexing Gilas
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Sexing Gilas Reply with quote

I was lucky enough to have somebody Ultrasound my adult group of Gilas last week...fantastic piece of equipment, you could actually see the egg folicles in the females!

My own 'guess' on the sexes was 2.3, with ultrasound showing 1.4...not bad Wink

The gilas are now back in hibernation until March.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
JStroud
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool way of sexing these lizards. Lets hope the male isn't gay Laughing
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JStroud wrote:
Very cool way of sexing these lizards. Lets hope the male isn't gay Laughing

you have a ONE TRACK MIND james!

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
JStroud
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get bullied on this forum Embarassed
Cornuta
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah, you started that one Laughing
Gazz
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Sexing Gilas Reply with quote

Scott W wrote:
I was lucky enough to have somebody Ultrasound my adult group of Gilas last week...fantastic piece of equipment, you could actually see the egg folicles in the female

Could i take my blueys' and monkey tails (skinks) to the vet and have them sexed that way by ultrasound ? is there a sertion time of year it has to be done ? or do they do they have to be mated before you can see the eggs ?.
Gazz
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Sexing Gilas Reply with quote

Gazz wrote:
Scott W wrote:
I was lucky enough to have somebody Ultrasound my adult group of Gilas last week...fantastic piece of equipment, you could actually see the egg folicles in the female

Could i take my blueys' and monkey tails (skinks) to the vet and have them sexed that way by ultrasound ? is there a sertion time of year it has to be done ? or do they do they have to be mated before you can see the egg folicles ?.
mark_w
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazz,

From what I understand, sexing any reptiles using ultrasound is pretty difficult. You can not see the testes in males becuase they are too small, and so you have to look for the ovaries in sexually mature females, and so you can only seperate sexually mature females from males and immature females. From what I've read, this is not feasible in blue tongues or shinglebacks. As you know, males give themselves away sooner or later via sperm plugs. Why ultrasound works in gilas and not skinks I don't know....

cheers,
Mark.
Heloderma
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: sex Reply with quote

Scott,
Normally you can only see the ovulation after the hibernation, or am I thinking wrong???
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: sex Reply with quote

Heloderma wrote:
Scott,
Normally you can only see the ovulation after the hibernation, or am I thinking wrong???

Hi Peter,

Seward recommend just prior to hibernation but does say that they can be sexed at any time of year. The guy who done this for me did also say that after hibernation would probably be more reliable but looking at mine you could see clearly 4 females with egg folicles so worst case scenerio would be 4 females with, 1 female without.

I am also going to ultrasound them after their hibernation.

We also had a look at my 2004 youngsters, One looked like it had egg folicles but the others had no signs at all, I think they one more season to get up to size.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: