Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bosc Viv size
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patrik
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think no one would have expected any other opinion from a individual keeping Varanus prasinus in a terrarium that barely have sufficient height for a terrestrial monitor.

i think that GJ last post is spot on, and i see no reason to drag this argument out.

cheers
VaranusCam
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well GJ u must be keeping your herps in poor conditions for them only to survive a few years chondrodan has kept his 2.5ft female bosc in a 4x2x2 Viv for 7 years and its doing fine and as for my prasinus... if u can find a pair that's in better health and there housing and there environment is in top condition then good luck yes i no the height space in there last Viv was insufficient but there humidity. basking temp are ambient temp are all spot on and for some one who as never kept prasinus trying to tell me how to keep them has no say in the matter of how my prasinus are kept...

anyway drag this argument out on ur own because like i sed 8x4x4 is a bit ott for a single bosc...
Patrik
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

varanuscam arent you making the same assumptions now that you wanted us to apologise for just a few posts ago?,dont you think thats kind of hypocritical?

i cant really say if your prasinus is healthy or not since i have never seen them, but what i can say is that they probably would be happier if their keeper allowed them some degree of natural behaviour, in this case to climb vertically.

you a rather funny do you know that, not only do you promote small terrariums but you actually belive that the lizards being kept in those terrariums are the most healthy and happiest monitors.

Quote:

"if u can find a pair that's in better health and there housing and there environment is in top condition then good luck"

what an odd statement, i dont think that i would be that hard to find but Good for you if you belive that you have found a magic recipie for goanna husbandry.
myself and most other are trying our best to improve our husbandry by learning from others.
chondrodan
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if any reptile is kept in a ridiculously large enclosure they will almost always feel vulnerable and stressed especially green tree monitors so why stress them. cams got them set up perfectly and hes hit the nail on the head about bosc sizes. they rarely exceed 3ft-31/2ft so why house them in the same size viv as some niles are kept.
master pt
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha what a bummer that nature dosent have any walls or ?

So do you really think a big enclosure will stress the animal even if it has plenty of hides and so on ???

I´M with patrik all the way on this one and GJ good point Wink
David Maguire
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

master pt wrote:
Hahaha what a bummer that nature dosent have any walls or ?

So do you really think a big enclosure will stress the animal even if it has plenty of hides and so on ???

I´M with patrik all the way on this one and GJ good point Wink

absaloutly well said pt Cool
Patrik
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me how can any of the terrarium sizes we have been discussing in this thread be classed as ridiculously large?in some countries they are barley minimum legal wise.

i dare you to find me a monitor that is neither newly hatched or a newly imported wc that actually would be more stressed over time in a bigger terrarium, thats just ridiculos.
if your animal is stressed you have done some basic error with its setup, it would have nothing to do with it being in "a ridiculously large terrarium".
on the other hand i would think that a big monitor would be very stressed out in a small terrarium.
[/quote]
VaranusCam
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so a 17ft reticulated python kept in a 8x3x1ft vision rack is in ur case diabolical ye! oh! ppl actually breed them in this space isn't that natural behavior and would stressed animals breed!!! so ye to me 8x4x4 is a bit extreme for 1 single bosc

and pls don't say "its diff rent for snakes" cos its 'cow dung' like u say natural environment has no ways same apply here....
VaranusCam
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no walls!.... MY BAD.. MY BAD!! IF ANYBODY NEED ME I'M WORKING A BIG BIG CASE FOR THE F.B.I
Mark F
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone listen to the radio interview someone kindly posted a link for? Pro-Exotics in the USA they were giving an update on their albino Sav breeding program, something about 10 foot long runs with 2 foot of soil.

These Savs were about 2.5 foot long & you want keep yours in a 4x2x2 for the rest of it's life, Chondrodan i wouldn't doud't your ability to look after you lizards etc but how will you monitor build muscle tone have you got a lizard wheel in there?. One of my friends who got me into monitors, took in a over weight 4 foot Sav & over a period time reduced it's weight using a 4x3 viv, but it still doesn't make it right.

My little girl ( i hope) currently lives in a 8x3x3 viv & to me looks a bit on the small side, she uses it all & is a muscularly skinny 26" long,the trouble with most Savs is they are overweight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small! All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: