Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

African Spur tortoises

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Tortoises & Turtles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lstratton
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: African Spur tortoises Reply with quote

Hi there,
My mum is thinking of getting 2 tortoises and we were thinking about these because we like the decent size that they get to eventually.
I have a few questions though -
It says in some places that they don't hibernate, is this true, even when they are adult?
How long does it take for them to be fully grown and also sexually mature?
What would be the average price for 1 CB 07? I'm guessing that 08s will be too young to have at the moment?
Also, what size should a tortoise table be for 2 of these and I'm guessing or rather hoping that once they are adult if we set up an area for them in the garden with a shed or something that has a heat lamp in there for them, then we can keep them outside either all of the year or for part of it if they should be hibernated.
Sorry for all the questions but it seems the more I research something the more questioins I come up with.
Thankyou

Lucy
mark_w
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I'm not an expert on this species but it is a giant tortoise from semi-arid tropical Africa. It does not hibernate and needs warm, brightly lit, dry conditions year round.

You would need some kind of insulated, heated outhouse or a room indoors for the winter months. I would guess they take at least 10 or 15 years to get up to adult size.

Most people keep Mediterranean tortoises because hibernating them in the winter makes life easier and they are not so big. Have you thought of Testudo marginata - this is European, quite hardy and quite large, maxing out at around 30cm+.

Cheers,
Mark.
Tegus: Tupinambis.
Tortoises: Testudo.
Central Scotland Reptiles
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purchasing an African Spurred Tortoise is a MAJOR undertaking.

I know a guy who keeps a group of these and he has likened them to bulldozers. Any enclosure needs to be really strong and secure. This same guy keeps his A.S.T. outside all year round. They have access to a heated shed but even so, they regularly, voluntarily, go outside when there is frost and even snow on the ground.

As has been mentioned, you may wish to consider one of the European species as they don't grow anywhere near the size of a Sulcatta.
scrambled legs
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its really hard to say what size tortoise table to make for two.

last week i spent time with some young sulcatas, two of which were six years old.

one was 10kg and one was 12kg. in 10 to 12 years, both of these tortoises could triplicate in size and weight if correct care is given.

don't forget this species is a digging tortoise, they burrow. so if you think for an adult horsefield (mediterrainian tortoise), they can burrow at least a meter down to escape the harsh russian winters, so imagine how deep an adult african spurred tortoise could burrow. you'd have to dig all of you garden fences down into the ground to stop this.

i totally agree with the above about the marginated tortoise. adults can get as large as 45cm head to tail. plus they hibernate for the winter, don't burrow and make equally good pets.

you could get a subspecies of greek spur thighed called a 'whitei'. these can get big also but are slightly harder to find.

margys are prettier too!

Neil.
crested geckos, rabbits, guinea pigs, gerbils, cat, jackapoo, poodle, a gazillion fish.
molurus
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a pic of my 2,
they have come around to being 12 month's old.
They both live in this 5 ft Herptek Viv most of the time but with the reasonable weather we have had to get to rumble around the garden.
it should take on average of 10-15 yr's for sulcata's to reach adult size.
yes they will need a large heated shed for the winter month's, mine will be ok as my father has large aviary shed which are heated.
molurus
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before i get any flack about tortoise shouldn't be kept in Viv's,
they CAN NOT see above the glass runner's they are still too small !
they have a tray full of topsoil and play-pit sand to dig and burrow if they want.
a slab to bask on and keep nail's trim,
2 x hide boxes,
shallow water dish.
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It`s mainly the mediterranean species that hibernate due to the climate that they originate from. Many species do aeistivate however. Aeistivation is very similar to hibernation. It occurs when conditions are so dry that it is not worth the animal expending energy looking for food when there is so little available. The animal shuts down as in hibernation and sits it out in anticipation of more hospitable conditions.

Sulcata are far from a beginner`s species. They will require a great deal of space also. I would really think about starting with a mediterranean species in order to gain some experience first.

A friend a few years back had some huge sulcata which he paid a great deal of money for. He also kept other species such as G.pardalis, G.Denticulata, G.carbonaria and G.elegans.

One day his sulcata caught an infection and were all dead in a few days. It`s worth thinking it over seriously (not that you haven`t given it consideration) before committing to such a big undertaking. Wink

You may find this a useful link for research; http://www.sulcata-station.org/

In particular this section; http://www.sulcata-station.org/files/wantsulcata.pdf
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Tortoises & Turtles All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: