Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I want a SLR camera
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Photography & Photos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClactonJoe
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: I want a SLR camera Reply with quote

All yous out there who have a knowledge of cameras.

I want to buy a digital SLR.
I can afford about £400-£500.
I have never used a SLR before properly. (People have given me theirs for me to point and shoot). (Don't even know what SLR stands for).

Will I get a decent one for this money?
Please can you help me choose one.

I would like to take some close-up pictures as well as day out pictures.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Go-on Have a Look...
http://www.mycampage.com/chameleon
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could get a nice used nikon d200 or d80(even less) for that money..Great cameras,or you could get a new nikon d60,d40x...
On top of that you will need your lenses...a good macro lens will set you back anywhere from £180 for say a 50mm sigma up to £280 for the tamron 90mm..the 90mm would be the better length for animals as you would be practically touching the animal with a 50mm macro.. Laughing
The 18-70mm nikon lens s a great all round general lens and can be picked up used from £100-130..in fact sold mine yesterday..at the end of the day it all comes down to budget and what your main uses will be..I believe there is another company called canon that make some ok cameras too.. Razz Razz Laughing
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stuart.

Would this be a good package to start?

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/424820/NIKON-D40-18-55mm-55-200mm-Lens#

Am I right in thinking that I can upgrade the lens at first then upgrade the body at a latter date and the lenses will fit on the new body?

I just wonder though if this package I listed would start me off until I got the hang of this SLR lark?

Go-on Have a Look...
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate..don't be drawn into these package deals...they are packed with consumer grade lenses that 9 out of 10 times you will replace in a few months...go for the camera body only and get the lenses that you "need" not what is part of a package..you will sae money in the long run. You are better off spending more on lenses than the body itself tbh...
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and check out these guys..one of the cheaper most reliable dealers online. http://www.warehouseexpress.com/category/basecategory.aspx?cat03=3065&brand=168
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the sound of the D60 and this seems in my price range.

If I pay out now for the main body with a bundled lens, then in a couple of months I can buy a better lens but still have a goodish body to clip it to.

How often do you change your main body and would the D60 last me a couple of years or so before technology made me upgrade?

Go-on Have a Look...
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The body will last you ages...especially as you are just getting into photography..they do bring out new cameras all the time but to be honest I think the glass is more important..I would maybe get the body only...seek out a used macro lens and general lens and see how you go..there are quite a few reputable dealers that sell second hand lenses and you could save yourself quite a bit.
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad has a Nikon D50 which he got for a bit less than the price you quoted, it is very good, even i can use it.

Last year he got a new lens, which has a high errrr sorry i don't know camera terms, basically it zooms in really far, which cost him about £150 to 200.

Snakes: :Pantherophis: :Coelognathus: :Lampropeltis: :Heterodon: :Antaresia:
Lizards: :Rhacodactylus: :Pogona: :Goniurosaurus:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ailurus27
ClactonJoe
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on this..

I have today ordered a Nikon D60 from Dixons for £400.00. It comes with the standard lens but TBO I only want to get the feel of the SLR at first. When I am happy with it I shall then fork out for the best lens I can afford. If you think I could get a decent lens for about £200 then I shall just check with you again Stuart before I buy the lens in a couple of months time or so. I did see some lenses for the £1,500 mark, but I think that would be a bit rich for me. (Wouldn't know what to do with them anyway).

Thanks again, and I await my delivery eagerly.

Go-on Have a Look...
pamela_s
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi i had never taken pics using a SLR before, but i bought one a few months ago with Stuarts help thanks Stu and i love it well worth the money and hours of fun im always looking out for things to snap i warn you its addictive Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Photography & Photos All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: