Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hoggie not eating..:(
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Snakes - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jayed
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Hoggie not eating..:( Reply with quote

This question probley gets asked a million times, but my little girl has not eaten in 2 weeks.

The temp in the tank is 85, but she feels colder than normal. She sniffs the food, she goes to take it and then she turns her little hoggie nose up at it! She is active, bright eyed and is not shedding.

I have not noticed a poo in her tank recently though, but there is no bulge in her body (which I normally see just before she poos on me!).

What can I do? How can I tell if she has a blockage? She is obviously hungry but is put off by something!! When should I worry!!

Could it be that about 3 weeks ago I brought home some tadpoles.. could it be that she can see and smell them and is fasting in preparation for some young frogs (or toads).. Shocked (joke)
herp_boi
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old is she? Has she been feeding well before?
1.1 Varanus acanthurus
0.1 Python Regius
0.0.10 varanus acanthurus eggs. Very Happy
0.0.31 Heterodon nasicus eggs.
http://www.freewebs.com/njbherps/index.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jayed
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

herp_boi wrote:
How old is she? Has she been feeding well before?

Sorry, essential information missing..:/

She was hatched in July 07, I got her in October 07. She went through a phase of not eating in November (she got very cold), but as a rule she eats like a pig. Fluffy comes into tank and if I am not quick enough she is fighting me for it!!

She normally loves her food and gets really angry when she is hungry.

She shed in March 08 (2nd shed), and it went really really well.
Lynne

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you mean march was her 2nd shed????
Forum Granny

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I agree with Lynne in asking what you mean by 2nd shed. Was it only the 2nd time that she has ever shed whilst you have had her ?

A trick that I use if my Hoggies go off food is to tempt them back to eating with a bit of fish. One of my males TOTALLY refuses to eat multis or mice. He was at the point of starving himself, he had not eaten for two to three months and was getting thin, and so I gave in and gave him fish. He shares my dinner once a week now Rolling Eyes

Sue
Jayed
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynne wrote:

March was the second time she has shed since I got her. She shed in December/Jan and again in March so she is not due to shed again. I just wanted to rule out pre-shed fasting..Smile

I've now tried her with a split head pinkie, and she is sniffing it, but again turned her nose up at it.. Mad
Lynne

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you got her in october i would have thought she would have shed more than twice!!! i would try quasimodos advice with the fish. my male went of his food during the winter, but this is something they do and he is a fully grown adult male.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayed wrote:
Lynne wrote:

March was the second time she has shed since I got her. She shed in December/Jan and again in March so she is not due to shed again. I just wanted to rule out pre-shed fasting..Smile

I've now tried her with a split head pinkie, and she is sniffing it, but again turned her nose up at it.. Mad

you say she shed in march, but this is 21st may!!!
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quasimodo wrote:

A trick that I use if my Hoggies go off food is to tempt them back to eating with a bit of fish. One of my males TOTALLY refuses to eat multis or mice. He was at the point of starving himself, he had not eaten for two to three months and was getting thin, and so I gave in and gave him fish. He shares my dinner once a week now Rolling Eyes

Sue

I will give her another week and try her with a bit of raw fish. I have some white bait which I used to feed to my Newt in the freezer she might like that. Smile

I think I would be going mad if she did not eat for months... 2 weeks and I am already in a panic!!
Lynne

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont ever buy a royal then!!!!! one of mine went 8 months. my hoggy stopped in november and started again in february.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Snakes - General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: