Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie with thousands of questions, sorry!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lstratton
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Newbie with thousands of questions, sorry! Reply with quote

Hello there.
I only found this forum a few days ago and I have been addicted to it. I have always wanted a chameleon but have never been in the right situation (school and uni), but now that I am working, I would love to have one. I have read everything I can on this forum, I have about 5 books on them and I have researched the internet over the last 3 years or so.
Firstly, thankyou anyone who has the time and patience to get to the bottom of this post and an even bigger thankyou if you can answer my questions too. I can only imagine how tedious it must be answering all the newbie questions.
So I was thinking of a panther chameleon - I like the size and love the colours. Also I would like to get one from a breeder as I believe that is by far the best way to give you and your animal the best start in life. I have noticed that Lee Warren comes very highly recommened by you all and he isn't that far from me as I live in London.
So far this is the list I have for setting up a vivarium for a young chameleon:
Exoterra glass aquarium 60x45x60 - mesh top
Exoterra light unit, double 40W with 2x Reptiglo 5.0 tubes, 107cm
Exoterra 60W Ceramic heater with wire clamp
Thermometer and Hydrometer deluxe pro from lucky rep
Fake branches
Live plants like ficus
Misting system (I need an automated system as I'm at work 5 days a week and I think all the ones I've found in UK, look below average. I've seen that Mist King in the US has been recommened, what are your thoughts?)
Also which supplements will I need?
How long will it take for a panther to outgrow that vivarium and need a full size one?
What would your suggested feeding regime be?

I'm sure I'll have loads more but can't think of anymore at the moment. I was also thinking of using the exoterra cage when I have upgraded the chameleon for a brazilian rainbow boa as I've always wanted one of these too. Would the footprint be suitable for the brb and if so, how long would he be able to live in it before having to be upgraded to a larger viv? I would be looking to get a 08 snake if I got one this year.
Thankyou

Lucy
tigerbaby2k
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lucy and welcome!

LeeWarren is definately your man. Worth going to visit his shop over the next few weeks as he has eggs of 3 different clutches hatching out as I type! He breeds a large variety of the localities. His website is this:

www.lee-warren.co.uk

I dont think you'l need the ceramic heater, especially not with 2 bulbs and 2 uv lights! Not sure if you really need all 4 bulbs in this size! A lot of people use the mesh cages eg Terry Tatcher or flexariums which are fantastic for adequate air flow to prevetn repisratory problems although you have to make sure you keep the rooms ambient temperature correct or you;l find they just bask all the time as can be too cold elsewhere.Some people use the exoterras for life, some just use them for rearing the youngsters until adults and move them to the mesh ones. It really is up to you. But wht you must make sure is that the vivs dry out between misting or respiratoy infections are high!

Great to see you doing research - IVe also been waiting for a cham - about 11 years now! And finally treating myself to some off Lee later in the year!
LEt us know what you decide on!

As far as the Rboa, Im not sure as Im not that familiar with the best set up for them so Il leave someone else to answer Wink

See you around - this site is sooo adictive!

Counting down the weeks til I get my Cham! My beardie is 10 1/2 years old Smile

1.0 Bearded Dragon
1.0 Lhasa apso
1.1 Lionheads
0.1 Syrian Hamster
quasimodo
Forum Granny

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a lovely post, and welcome to the Forum. Your enthusiasm shines out from the page Very Happy Do hope that you get what you want and that it is just the start of an exciting collection. Wink

Sue
Brew
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lucy
It all depends on what size panther you get as to the required equipment. As you've noted Lee Warren is highly recommended, and I would agree. So if we say you get a Juvenile from Lee to start, you could do with and Exo terra 45x45x60, not quite as big as you suggest. As for heating/lighting you would only require a low wattage (40/50W) basking lamp and a UVB strip lamp, young Chams require less heat than an adult. From there you will need to adapt the living quarters regarding size, heating and moisture etc. as the Cham grows.
All I can advise is; 1, Decide what locale you want (not easy) 2, Go see Lee and find out when your prefered locale will be available. 3, keep reserching............................................ 4; (This is only advise for me) Be prepared to change your mind about your prefered locale.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
LeeWarren
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lucy,

Great to see your doing your homework on panthers.

Come and see me. See how I do it, and go from there.

I breed BRB's as well, got some stunning babies available.

Give me a ring 01279 306392 11 - 6pm.

Not around Thursdays though!
tigerbaby2k
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Told ya Lee was ya man Lucy! Not only the Panthers but the BRB will be sorted as well!!! Your own Zoo will be coming soon!

Wink

Counting down the weeks til I get my Cham! My beardie is 10 1/2 years old Smile

1.0 Bearded Dragon
1.0 Lhasa apso
1.1 Lionheads
0.1 Syrian Hamster
kroakykaren
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee will sort you Lucy Very Happy he is the main cham man, welcome to the forum too, loads of cham keepers on here. BRBs are beautiful snakes nice choice Very Happy
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

planning a trip to lee as well myself in the future!
lstratton
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thankyou for all the replies.
It seems that Lee is my man for both the cham and the brb. How exciting. Well i'll have to have a trip to his shop to see his setups. I definately think chosing the locale is going to be the hardest! Well I won't be able to do it for a few weeks as I am busy for the next few weekends, but I'll let you all know what happens when I do go.
Oh I can barely sit still whilst writing this. Work is going to go straight out of the window now as I sit there dreaming of my bedroom becoming a rainforest with alsorts of reps.
Although I don't think my pufferfish (have a large tank with freshwater dwarf puffers and a few other catfish in, it is planted as well) will be too happy. I must share my love between them all Smile
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Lees shop is well worth a visit..and you won't go far wrong with his animals or advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: