Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Californian King Snake
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Corn, Kings, Rat & Milk snakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scorpion251067
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Californian King Snake Reply with quote

I have just literally posted a reply about Alf, how he hasn't tried to eat himself, posted it then to my horror, I looked at him he was slithering really fast around his Viv, and ..yes.. he was at it again, as I am writing, he has hold of himself, not his tail as yet, but that will only be a matter of time I expect, well what can I say, I'm gutted, I really thought he was doing that due to being hungry! I don't know if it's a good idea or not, but does anyone know if it is OK to feed him whenever he does that, well offer food to him, as when he is full he doesn't hurt his self... or would this do more harm than good? any advice would be great? thank you all
Lynne

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im sure the thread i saw before, the snake did it when he had fed. does he do it at any time, or have you noticed a specific time? eg after feeding, before feeding etc

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a look here. i will keep looking.

http://www.herpcenter.com/childrens-pythons/2014-swallowing-her-tail.html
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Californian King Snake Reply with quote

It's really hard to say now, I would had said, he done it when he was hungry, but surely after a mere 3 days, he can't be hungry, I mean the size of the mice I gave him I was shocked he managed them, but he did. He has been very content over the past few days, but as was was "updating the situation" on here, he opened his bowels and that's when he started to do it again (eat him self) so I just do not know, but hey, it's early days yet, I will get to the bottom of this, lol can you but those collars that dogs wear after an operation, for snakes lol that would stop him, but seriously, if it is OK to feed him whenever he he is doing this then I will do if only to stop him self harming..
scorpion251067
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Californian King Snake Reply with quote

Lynne wrote:
have a look here. i will keep looking.

http://www.herpcenter.com/childrens-pythons/2014-swallowing-her-tail.html

Thanks Lynne, very interesting, think that one was maybe just an error on the snake my Alf attack him self, no food present, maybe he is just nuts, you would think though after getting almost 6/7" of tail down his throat he would realize that it was still attached to the rest of him, but oh no not Alf lol thank again x
Lynne

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you know how long he has been doing this? has it been all his life?
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Californian King Snake Reply with quote

Lynne wrote:
do you know how long he has been doing this? has it been all his life?
I asked the previous owner if they had ever seen him do this, but she said no she hadn't seen him do it before, but, by the marking on his tail he has been doing this for some time, as he only shed last week and the marks are clearly scars, but then she wouldn't had seen him do this as they were upstairs in a spare room, not looked at, just thrown a mice or two every 3 weeks, but I can be sure this isn't a new thing, too many scars self inflicted scars.
Lynne

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right. poor things. never mind they have a good home now. am going to google it and see what comes up.
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynne wrote:
right. poor things. never mind they have a good home now. am going to google it and see what comes up.
Thanks, I did google this subject, but nothing too specific came up, even went to a breeder of these snakes, and he hadn't heard of this before, surely this isn't an isolated case? I'm off now, thanks for all your help, be back tomorrow cheers ..Lesley
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Corn, Kings, Rat & Milk snakes All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: