Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aggressive crestie - advice please?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carol
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Aggressive crestie - advice please? Reply with quote

Hi guys

Our cresties are now 6 months old - (still have no idea what sex they are) Titch is much smaller than the others and was being picked on by one of the others so we moved him to his own viv. Now the original perpetrator Sid - (ironically named after Sid Vicious) seems to be starting to have a pop at Kurt occasionally. We've seen him following Kurt around sometimes but we've just seen him launch himself from the side of the viv at Kurt. He appears unhurt and just jumped away but we're really worried that we are now going to have to separate these two as well. Kind of running out of room for more vivs!!!!

They share the biggest Exo-Terra viv (60 x45 x 60) and there are loads of plants, cork and branches for cover. In the daytime though they often sleep virtually on top of each other, and we've seen them walk over each other with no problems. Don't know what to do - thought cresties were meant to be one of the more laid back lizards!

Is this normal behaviour or should we worried?

Any suggestions/ help/advice gratefully received!

Thanks

Carol
Biohazard156
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they both males? I had this same thing happen at about 6 months too....one male was trying to bite the other so they had to be seperated. Generally males do not live together well and will most likely injure the other one. I think keeping them apart is a good idea esp now you have witnessed the agression starting.

A
1.1.0 Dumerils
0.2.0 BCI
1.1.0 Mexican Rosys
1.1.0 ATB's
1.1.0 Viper Geckos
1.0.0 Beardie
4.7.4 Cresties
0.6.8 Mourning Geckos
1.2.2 Gargoyle Geckos
1.1.0 Tokays
1.1.2 Cave Geckos
1.2.0 Leos
Carol
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there - thanks for answering

We don't know if they are male or not - no visible signs of bulges, I think we will get a loupe and check for pores. I think we will probably have to get another viv.

Carol
negri
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check the pores to see if you have males ,

you could put the bully in on his own and put the other two together .

or you could be just unlucky and have three males

Crested Geckos 1:7:4 + 8 Eggs
White Treefrogs 0:1:0
Green Anole 0:0:1
Fire Belly Toads 5:6:0
Bearded Dragon 0.1.0
Leopard Geckos 1.1.2
Albino Cali King 1.1.0
And a Fish Called George...
Carol
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought about putting the other two together but Titch is half the size of Kurt and we thought you weren't supposed to put them together if they were different sizes.

We will get Sid a new viv tomorrow in the meantime he's been relegated to the faunarium!! Not a happy bunny.

We will keep them all separate until they are fully grown and hopefully Titch will be female and we will be able to reintroduce her to one of the others. Will Sid only be aggressive to other males - cos we would love to breed from him - he's a stunner!!

Thanks for the help.

Carol
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you add more foilage or visual barriers? That may stop it.

Other than that your only option I guess is to seperate.

I think I've only ever needed to seperate 2 or 3 cresteds (max) due to fighting, and two of those were males in a group of 10 males living together. The only thing I can put it down to is not enough hiding spaces and barriers within the set up, although too many can ruin your own enjoyment of watching them.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Carol
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The viv generally looks like this - but now has another plant in the front RH corner and one dangling down the front of the branch, and another piece of cork at the back.

There is a space for another plant at the back but nowhere else really - so any suggestions welcome! We are hoping Titch is female and hope to keep them both in this viv so if there aren't enough hiding places will need to sort it out.

Loads of people on here keep more cresties together in faunariums and smaller vivs so I don't know where we are going wrong.

Maybe we've just been really unlucky with Sid - I think he's just a nasty bugger! Went for Sean's finger as well when he put new food in.

We have actually now separated Sid out from Kurt - but we should have moved him instead of Titch when he started attacking him!

Thanks for replying

Carol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: