Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mini Meal Worms

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Higgy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Mini Meal Worms Reply with quote

Hi all. When feeding crickets you have to gut load them but do you need to do the same with meal worms?? If so what with? Ive heard potato for when you are breeding them. Can this be used to gut load?? Thanks. Paul
Dracowoman2
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Higgy, yes you do need to gut load mini mealies, most people say more so with these than crickets as their nutritional value is less. I use cricket diet and cabbage, I buy my mealies is 1kg batches and as soon as they arrive they get cabbage and then every couple of days there after. I also give them a good dusting over with the cricket diet every couple of days and when I put them in my critters dishes I make sure that they is about a level teaspoon of cricket diet in the bottom of the dish for them to continue to load themselves, then i just sprinkle which ever suppliment I'm using on that day on top of them, I don't shake them about in it, as when they are moving about they cover each other anyway, they then also eat any leftover vits etc as it ends up mixing in with the cricket diet. Seems to work wonders with my lot, my mealies always look healthy and my critters seem to grow like weeds on them Laughing

Hoep that helps, and sorry for the essay Embarassed Laughing

"Life without animals isn't life, they give much and take little"

Claire
Higgy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thanks for the reply. My 2 cresties love meal worms! Even the smaller one has noticely grown whilst iv been feeding these. They prefer them to crickets and they last a lot longer. At the mo Ive been giving them a bit of Kale and cucumber and sprinkling with a multi Viv powder and a bit of nutrobol. Does that seem OK?? They have started to climb out the tub as soon as they see them so that's a good sign. Again many thanks for the help. Paul
Dracowoman2
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Paul, my cresties wouldn't take cricket either that's why I tried them with mini mealies as I buy them for the leos and fat tails anyway. I only feed my cresties mealies now about 1 or maybe 2 times a week, the rest of the time they get CGD as it's better for them, but what I found also works well is if you put some dry CGD into the bottom of the tub that you put the mealies into, that way the mealise eat the CGD and the cresties eath both. I don't add extra suppliments to any of my crestie food and this seems to work really well. I know that over calcification of egg shells can be a problem with breeding cresties and the young finding it hard to get out of their shells, but when my females breed I will give them the option to add extra calcium if they want it by giving them access to a calcium dish, much as I do for the leos, and this seems to work really well.

If you can get hold of it the cricket diet is well worth feeding to the mealies as well, as that way they are also gut loaded with vits etc so your covered for every angle to make sure they are healthy. I buy about 4kg of it at a go, and it lasts a coupe of months, so if you only have the cresties to food to feed (the mealies) then you should be able to buy less and it last quite a long time, just keep it in an air tight container so that it doesn't get damp. It also seems to help with growth for the critters, as all my lot have grown like weeds, cresties included Very Happy

Hope that helps

Claire

Claire
Higgy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feed the mealies about 3 times a wk and the rest of the time they Have CGD and fruit puree. I only add a sprinkle of nutrobol and multi Vit once a wk to the CGD. I get some Cricket diet for them and also add some dry CGD to it. Again many thanks.
Dracowoman2
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pleasure Very Happy Give me a shout if you want to know anything else Very Happy

Claire
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: