Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hog nose bite
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Snakes - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krakilin
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: hog nose bite Reply with quote

good day, i've been searching the net for the effects of a hog nose bite, but almost all just said that they are not fatal to humans. i would like to ask what happens when a hog nose bites you? do you get sick? because my friend told me that the bitten person will get sick for a day.
i thank all of you in advance.=)
Ailurus
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest i think diferent people react differently, on some people it has no effect at all, and on others they get ill, feel sick, and need to lie down, but it doesn't last long.

however hognoses are a very small species of snake and since they are back-fanged it is actually quite difficult for one to bite you using its fangs, unless it is very large adult, (or you have very small hands lol)

hope this helps

Snakes: :Pantherophis: :Coelognathus: :Lampropeltis: :Heterodon: :Antaresia:
Lizards: :Rhacodactylus: :Pogona: :Goniurosaurus:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ailurus27
Lynne

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hognoses use the back fangs to inject venom, so they would need to chew to actually get whatever they bite down to the rear fangs. normally it shouldnt affect you, but i took a reaction to my males bite, after watching him chew my thumb!!!!! Shocked
i was ill for a week, but as i said this was a particulary bad reaction. it was just like having flu. sweating and for a day talking rubbish, which people say i talk anyway. so no diff there.
they really are cute and lovely wee snakes, and i wouldnt let that put me off getting one. he is still here, and still emitting ear bursting hisses, but its all a bluff.
are you thinking about getting one??? if they are well handled as youngsters there wont be a problem, i bought mine as an adult and dont know what like he was with his previous owners. he is fine now.
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah from what i have read it doesn't effect most people, but then some people can have nasty reaction, i ahve seen some gory pics soemwhere but forget where now
0.0.1 Lasiodora Difficilis
0.0.1 Brachypelma Smithi
Lynne

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnakeGuy wrote:
Yeah from what i have read it doesn't effect most people, but then some people can have nasty reaction, i ahve seen some gory pics soemwhere but forget where now

well i was the plonker standing there watching him chew!!!! it didnt register what he was actually doing! and he is an adult, i think hatchlings are more likely to play dead than bite.
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i actually had one about 3 inches long when my mom got snakes from the breeder so that i can check them out at home. but the next day when i went to the breeder to check other stocks, i was told that they are mildly venomous and would make me sick for one whole day. this scared us so we got something else instead. that was about 2 months ago. and right now we're getting sad for returning the good hog nose.=(
they really liked him. of all my snakes, he was the only one held by the family. sigh... =(

thank you all for your replies. we will try and talk to the breeder. i believe they weren't supposed to sell the batch anyway. we just got lucky because we know them. hehe. i just hope we're lucky enough to get the exact snake. he was so gentle.

and sorry if i posted in the wrong section.
Lynne

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they really are lovely wee snakes. i dont know if mine had been handled much before i got him, so that may explain why he bit. i hope you get your wee chap, let us know how it goes.
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was bitten by my baby. I had pinkie blood on my hand Laughing Laughing
It had no effect on me. It had a good chew too Laughing Laughing
1.1 Varanus acanthurus
0.1 Python Regius
0.0.10 varanus acanthurus eggs. Very Happy
0.0.31 Heterodon nasicus eggs.
http://www.freewebs.com/njbherps/index.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
johonny
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here mate great wee info here http://www.herpnet.net/bite/ Wink

Pics are a little bloody so you have been warned no complaints Wink
Rad
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for once johnny you have posted something worth reading Wink Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Snakes - General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: