Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

general boa questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Boas & Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrjingles
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: general boa questions Reply with quote

Hi all, Ive owned a corn for the past two years and decided to buy a boa, with size in mind Ive decided on a El Salvador boa or some-kind of small dwarf.
Ive done enough research but still wanting to make some decisions that fall mainly on personal preference.

sooo...

I have a 2ft by 15inch deep by 18inch high wood vivarium to start off in.
I could do with some pointers on heating and substrate for starters.

I was going to buy a heat mat like my corn, with the corns viv being glass i had now problem with heating from outside the viv, but with wood I'm not sure with issues such as burning and moisture, so which would you suggest?

inside with slate cover ect or outside with stat probe inside?

Would it be better to have a ceramic bulb? i heard that snakes are normally more active with ceramics due to the whole viv being heated rather than mainly the mat surface

another question for you, what do you use for substrate with your boa?

Would be great if you could answer my questions and lead me in the right directions before i go out and buy my dwarf.

thanks all
Lynne

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a ceramic in the boa viv, but mines is a common boa, may be differant for a dwarf. i always preferred mats, but must admit the ceramic in her viv is winning me round.
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was going to buy a heat mat like my corn, with the corns viv being glass i had now problem with heating from outside the viv, but with wood I'm not sure with issues such as burning and moisture, so which would you suggest?

If you decide to go for a heat pad, you can put it on the inside of the viv, (agains either the back or side) but make sure it is attached to an appropriate thermostat, and the probe shold be taped to the heater pad, and maintaind at the correct temperature.

OR if you have a wooden vivarium with a thin board back rather than thick wood, you could buy a long thin heater pad and stick all along the back of the viv on the outside so the snake can thermoregulate from front to back. you do not need a thermostat if you choose this option, as the snake cannot actually touch the pad so burns are rare.

Quote:
Would it be better to have a ceramic bulb? i heard that snakes are normally more active with ceramics due to the whole viv being heated rather than mainly the mat surface

You could use a ceramic heater pad rather than a heater pad, if you do, put it to one side of the viv and control it using a pulse proportional thermostat. Also you will need to but a metal guard for it because if the snake comes into contact with it, it may burn itself.

Quote:
another question for you, what do you use for substrate with your boa?

Orchid bark

Some other stuff:
- Use UV lighting as well as whatever heat source you decide on.
- Get a large water bowl

Also the main types of dwarf boa thsat you get are El Salvador (sometimes called the central american boa), these grow to a maximum of 5ft for females and 3 or 4 for males.

The other main dwarf boa is Hogg Island, these are more expensive than el salvadors but are stunning. females get 5 to 6 foot, males get 4 to 5.

hope this helps

Snakes: :Pantherophis: :Coelognathus: :Lampropeltis: :Heterodon: :Antaresia:
Lizards: :Rhacodactylus: :Pogona: :Goniurosaurus:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ailurus27
mrjingles
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies.

I have a ceramic laying about and a spare stat i used for my BD setup so i will try that out when my temp/humid therms come through the post and see what i have to work with.

I wasn't going to have any artificial light in the viv, or a UV. from care sheets i have look at they say its not needed, would you argue this, do they make a significant difference?

thanks.
Lynne

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont have lights in any of my vivs. and i use a cat litter tray for water too as there is enough room for her to soak if she wants to.
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a ceramic laying about and a spare stat i used for my BD setup so i will try that out when my temp/humid therms come through the post and see what i have to work with.

sounds great!

Quote:
I wasn't going to have any artificial light in the viv, or a UV. from care sheets i have look at they say its not needed, would you argue this, do they make a significant difference?

no it isn't needed, but it isn't harmful to have it. In the wild a snake will have access to UV because it can get it from basking in the sun, it is good to give it the opportunity and the choice to do this captivity. Also Uv is used in the production of calcium within the body of the snake, thus severly limiting the probability of your snake getting MBD (metabolic bone disease).

But its your call, this is just my own personal opinion, i provide all my adult snakes with UV.

mrjingles
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all, thanks for you input. I've started moving a few things in and trying out ideas, i have the ceramic heating the hot spot to 30degrees I'm buying a guard for it don't worry!
there are currently: one long hide under the basking log that stretches the full 2ft of the viv, water container near the hotter side for humidity. one hide at the front cool side as well,
any ideas for the climbing side? it 18inch high. I'm thinking a few vines and dowel branches working it way to the back right and all along the front.
i have my digi therms and humid testers coming in the post so i can take time getting heat ect under control, this is just for decor ideas.
i'll be adding plants and substrate shortly.
any comments so far or ideas?
thanks alot.

Lynne

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i did give mine a plant, but its disappeared!!! Shocked

my viv has the ceramic at one end, and the probe for the stat is just off halfway down the length of the viv. i attached it to the wall with those phone clip things. her water is at 'cool' end. mine has some logs under the ceramic that she can bask on or if she wants she can disappear under them.she has a branch over her water bowl, which is a cats litter tray, and she loves to climb on this.
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks great!! you could put the water bowl at the other end, because it will evaporate very quickly and you may end up having to refill it more ten twice a day. Put it at the cool end and see what the humidity gets up to, if it doesnt get to the right amount just spary the tank with a spray bottle. If you use a good substrate such as orchid bark it will hold the humidity pretty well.

For climbing opportuinties you could get some pieces of cork bark tubes, and secure them in place, its up to you how you do that, if you can just wedge it in really firm.

For my corn snake viv i used an old tree branch which was cut down off a tree in a park near where i live. I put it in the bath and poured boiling water over it, and then washed it with a 1:10 mixture of bleach:water.

here is a pic:

Stripey
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, hope you've got a bulb guard for the ceramic though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Boas & Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: