Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

egg binding prevention?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captainmerkin
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: egg binding prevention? Reply with quote

I have been told numerous times that yemen chameleons are very prone to egg binding and that I am likely to only have my two girls for about 2 years due to this.

I know there are a few things I can do to help with this when the time is right, substrate for laying and not overfeeding them (they gunna love me for that).

But I have also heard that having them mated also helps with this problem as they are more likely to lay fertile eggs than to let them bind... not sure how true this is myself but it does sound right.

I am more than happy to get a male for them if this helps, but if it makes no difference then I will be getting a Panther instead Smile
Dennis
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been keeping two females for over six years and they have never been mated during this time cause they were very big and to agressive towards any male i introduced to them. They never laid any unfertile eggs in this time. I think the key is the feeding. Egg binding is often a sign that you are overdoing it with the amount of food,also with the quality(to much protein,fat). Im keeping them short on food and always gutload every insect. A vet told me not to use vitamins to often but instead always dust with minerals,calcium.. Why don't you just "borrow" a male for the mating job and still buy a panther? Very Happy
captainmerkin
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wont they require a regular "knocking up"?
Dennis
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after producing the first fertile clutch the problem with egg binding sinks-just my opinion/experience. Keep in mind that only one mating is enough for two or three fertile clutches (with panthers up to six!) Anyway,wheres the problem,invite the guy with his male again, have a beer meanwhile-done ! Very Happy
captainmerkin
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha!
mcfluffin
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Excellent advice Dennis...
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possibility is to spay the females. This is really a last resort as previous responses have said, egg binding is not a problem if diet is fine Smile
Very occasionally the females spine can be too curved to lay the eggs (if the female was inbred) though I do stress this is not common (thank god!)

Anyway if your confident and have the facilities Im sure you'd love to see lil babies grow!

Counting down the weeks til I get my Cham! My beardie is 10 1/2 years old Smile

1.0 Bearded Dragon
1.0 Lhasa apso
1.1 Lionheads
0.1 Syrian Hamster
kinyonga
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been keeping veileds for many years now. I have not had one become eggbound for a long time now.

I have one female that is over 7 years old now and she has never produced a single egg or been mated. This seems to be the norm for me. I have mated some when they were 2+ years old that where never mated before and never produced a single egg and they produced a clutch and every egg hatched. The 7+ year old is the daughter of one of these and I have the daughter of another one of these that is over 4 now and has never produced a single egg or been mated.

I control the diet of the females and to some extent the temperature. It seems to prevent the egg production and extends their life expectancy...and controls the clutch size too. By altering the diet and temperature it seems that they can produce eggs again.

Here's how I do it....
http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html
tigerbaby2k
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinyonga wrote:
I have been keeping veileds for many years now. I have not had one become eggbound for a long time now.

I control the diet of the females and to some extent the temperature. It seems to prevent the egg production and extends their life expectancy...and controls the clutch size too. By altering the diet and temperature it seems that they can produce eggs again.

Here's how I do it....
http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html

Totally agree. Do you know what caused the one to egg bound that you mentioned at the top?

Counting down the weeks til I get my Cham! My beardie is 10 1/2 years old Smile

1.0 Bearded Dragon
1.0 Lhasa apso
1.1 Lionheads
0.1 Syrian Hamster
captainmerkin
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers, love the viv it looks great!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: