Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

any sugar glider owners
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pamela_s
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: any sugar glider owners Reply with quote

hi any one own sugar gliders Smile just wondered what you think there like as pets and are the expensive to keep. im looking in to getting a pair soon and wanted to know if there is a forum any 1 would recommend thanks
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look here - sugar lumps. The uk's only sugar glider forum. Very Happy
pamela_s
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks i will check it out now Smile
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately visit Maries site its full of great info, thats where I learned most and I still visit to keep up to date and learn more, its also a verey friendly site generally too.

I have had 3 for a couple of months now and love them to bits. I dont find them expensive at all, other than the initial outlay.

Foodwise, I just make a batch - keep it in the fridge and freeze some of it into an ice cube tray. ( I use blended fruits with an overall c:ph ratio of 2 - 2.5 : 1) Usually the egg, yoghurt, insects or cat biscuits levels the entire diet out to around 2:1.

Ive been incredibly lucky in finding 3 very friendly gliders who interact with me and my daughter - plus they do not mind visitors.
pamela_s
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool i am a bit worried about the diet side of things as my little brain can't get the ratio thing Embarassed how do you know how much egg, yogurt, insects or cat biscuits to give i will keep reading and it might sink in lol Smile
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have loads at work.

they are fed fresh fruit daily, and have some type of monkey nuts (not sure of proper name)availiable at all times, they also have fresh water availiable at all times and it is replaced daily.

they are cleaned out once every fortnight. they like the smell of themselves and thus do not lke being cleaned out often, and will rfuse to sleep in a thoroughly cleaned out next box, so we just leave the next boxes alone, unless they are really really nasty

oh and they are noisy and they bite, and that hurts....alot

Snakes: :Pantherophis: :Coelognathus: :Lampropeltis: :Heterodon: :Antaresia:
Lizards: :Rhacodactylus: :Pogona: :Goniurosaurus:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ailurus27
cosmo
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i've been lucky enough to keep these little guys. I bought a pair about a year ago and just after xmas they produced a baby boy. Now zia (the female) is pregnant again and carrying twins.

They can smell a bit and as said they don't like every thing totally clean - besides if you do clean fully the males will scent the place up again when they wake up.

Food wise, the initial cost of vits etc can be expensive but last forever and the fresh fruit costs me on average £12 a week - I do like to try them with the odd fancy fruit. Pawpaw being their fave!!!

Unfortunately i think my, now adults were wild caught or CF so they don't like to be handled but willing take food from my hands!!
Bri.
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had 10 of them at one point. Great animals, and loads of fun to interact with. One of mine came from Marie, and have to say she is the best person for you to contact for help and advice.
Came very close to giving up keeping chinchillas to keep gliders instead, but the chins won out. The gliders all went to a friend of mine.
pamela_s
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopefully the ones i get won't bite Confused i know they may do at first but hopefully they will bond with me was it hard when they bred and raising the Joey , wow 10 couldn't imagine having that many Smile well i will definitely post pics when i have saved up enough money Smile
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the ones at our work only bite because they do not have much human contact, the babies are ok though and u can train them not to. we have a few babies i think (lol they hide alot) i am not sure if they are for sale yet.

and they are expensive lol

Snakes: :Pantherophis: :Coelognathus: :Lampropeltis: :Heterodon: :Antaresia:
Lizards: :Rhacodactylus: :Pogona: :Goniurosaurus:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ailurus27
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: