Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beardie Vivarium

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Bearded, Rankins & Frilled Dragons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToonTomH
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Beardie Vivarium Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking of making a Beardie vivarium to house one Bearded Dragon... The size of it will be just under 4 feet, by 2 feet wide and 2 feet high. Now, after asking on here yesterday, I'd been told that a spot light and a ReptiGlo Compact 10.0 (or something similar) would be fine for the heat and UVB source. As well as that I would put on tube light along the top for an extra light source. However, I've just been told by someone else that the ReptiGlo Compact 10.0 wouldn't be good enough for a vivarium that size.

I just wondered what your opinions on this are? And what you use for your Beardie vivs?

Thanks,

Tom

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jaffa
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm just building a big viv from my beardie, its 6x2x3ft and I'm using a repti glo 10 4ft tube with 2 ceramic heat emitters.

Spoken to a local shop and breeder and both recommended these
Bri.
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found compacts give you an intense light in one area. This is fine for a small viv, but with a larger one you might find a fall off in light from one end to the other.
I tend to use a tube running as much of the length of the viv as possible. That way you get a constant light level throughout the viv.
agh100
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I would say a tube UV is better.

The ReptiSun 10.0 or Arcadia D3 12% are meant to be better than the ReptiGlo 10.0 which has some reported issues with it

Get a Reflector on the tube also to make it even more effective..
ToonTomH
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies Smile They've definitely helped! Very Happy

Thanks,

Tom

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
tigerbaby2k
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agh100 wrote:
yeah I would say a tube UV is better.

The ReptiSun 10.0 or Arcadia D3 12% are meant to be better than the ReptiGlo 10.0 which has some reported issues with it

Get a Reflector on the tube also to make it even more effective..

I agree. I built a 4.5ft x2ftx2ft viv for my beardies with a 4ft Reptisun 10 the length of the back within 12 inches of their basking spots / resting spots. This is how I have had it for 10 years, and they are still going strong Smile Just remember you have to change the Reptisun tubes every 6-8 months as although they produce light, they have a limited output of UV.

Have fun!

Counting down the weeks til I get my Cham! My beardie is 10 1/2 years old Smile

1.0 Bearded Dragon
1.0 Lhasa apso
1.1 Lionheads
0.1 Syrian Hamster
Dracowoman2
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally use a Mercury Vapour Bulb which produces considerably more UV than a tube and also sorts out the heating, they degrade less than a tube and don't need to be changed quite so often. I wouldn't use anything else now for my beardies, and the difference in them and their colour since I changed over is unbelievable.

Have a look at this link and make up your own minds Smile The lady that did most of this research bred beardies for years and really knows her stuff. She has been using Mercury Vapour bulbs for many years, even importing specially from canada and converting them with a step down transformer for british current. She offered me loads of advice and support with my beardies even before I got them. You can now get Self Balasted Merc Vapour bulbs, I paid about £42 for mine from South West Exotics. In a 2 foot high viv with a ceramic fitting screwed to the roof there is JUST enough distance between the surface of the bulb and the floor so that they are not at risk from burns from it (UV Burns, not heat) But mine weill be moving into a 4 foot high viv soon and this bulb is ideal for that purpose. My female wasn't getting enough UV from a tube to take up her calcium properly, and I had only replaced the tube about 6 weeks prior to me noticing a problem, she's been a different beardie ever since Smile

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/

Sorry for the essay Embarassed

Forgot to say the bulb I have is the Mega-Ray 150watt version, probably the best bulb there is.

"Life without animals isn't life, they give much and take little"

Claire
tigerbaby2k
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracowoman2 wrote:
My female wasn't getting enough UV from a tube to take up her calcium properly, and I had only replaced the tube about 6 weeks prior to me noticing a problem, she's been a different beardie ever since Smile

I have no problem with people using these bulbs, but have seen some awful burns Sad Plus they only provide UV directly under the bulb for 6ft down and only limited outwardly. UV tubes will provide UV for the entire length of them but only within 12 inches, but this does mean even if they are in there resting spots (not hidding) they will be absorbing UV. Also in the warmer days they come outside into a rabbit run and LOVE IT! Cannot substitute sunlight Smile

My female that I had since 4 weeks bred from age 2 -5, 2-3 clutches a year and I only ever lost 2 eggs that werent fertile and one egg that never hatched out of hundreds of eggs. She retired herself from breeding and I never had any problems with her calcium. She sadly passed away a few months ago having just turned 10, but considering most books and breeders will say that females will die between 5-8 after breeding I think she did fantastic Smile The male is now over 10 and still happy as larry.

Its personal choice as to what you use as long as you keep the tubes within 12 inches and replace regulary or you keep the mercury bulbs away by 12 inches and watch for burns

Let us know what ya decide Smile

Counting down the weeks til I get my Cham! My beardie is 10 1/2 years old Smile

1.0 Bearded Dragon
1.0 Lhasa apso
1.1 Lionheads
0.1 Syrian Hamster
ToonTomH
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Forgot about this thread after I got the first couple of replies Laughing But thanks for the rest of them.

I decided against making a vivarium and took the wiser option of buying a 4ft x 1.5ft x 1.75 ft vivarium online. I took the advice on a 3ft 10.0 UV Tube and have also got a basking light. The UV tube runs along the top, but there are plenty of places where s/he can get up and closer to the UV tube if s/he wants.

Thanks a lot for all your help!

Tom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Bearded, Rankins & Frilled Dragons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: