Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

baby sambava's
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jen23
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didn't know that but i'm sure that'll stop some future worry! lol. turns out it was the start of a shed as when i got home from uni i found white skin all over the bottom of the tank! it was quite exciting really Smile its his first since i got him. how often do they do this? also, i read somewhere that they eat their skin after they've shed. is this true? or should i just take it out?

grr i'm starting to dislike the locusts now too having returned home to a rubber plant with a MASSIVE chunk missing from the leaf Evil or Very Mad
jenny s
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also be careful if you leave the crickets in the viv overnight as they will feed on the chams !! Urg !! They are 'orrible. Its great your little cham has shed already, i have never heard that they eat the dead skin, I always take mine out and throw it away.

Jenny
unbreakable
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

banded crickets are well behaved, i would avoid using black crickets though, they seem to be the ones that nip.
tigerbaby2k
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jen23 wrote:
i didn't know that but i'm sure that'll stop some future worry! lol. turns out it was the start of a shed as when i got home from uni i found white skin all over the bottom of the tank! it was quite exciting really Smile its his first since i got him. how often do they do this? also, i read somewhere that they eat their skin after they've shed. is this true? or should i just take it out?

grr i'm starting to dislike the locusts now too having returned home to a rubber plant with a MASSIVE chunk missing from the leaf Evil or Very Mad

Yeap lots of lizards will eat their shed - especially geckos. Its normal, but some just dont. Contains some vits and minerals which is why they sometimes eat it.

Annoying about www.livefoods.co.uk as I used to use them a few years ago when I had no local reptile shop and they had all sizes. Im sure the smallest I could get was 1/4inch! Where do you live again?
Is your male in a exoterra glass viv? I still cant decide what to get for mine!

Counting down the weeks til I get my Cham! My beardie is 10 1/2 years old Smile

1.0 Bearded Dragon
1.0 Lhasa apso
1.1 Lionheads
0.1 Syrian Hamster
unbreakable
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have found the exo terra vivs to do the trick, i use it on all mine, the water can collect sometimes but i find using newspaper helps a lot, takes a bit of time to get the temperature right aswell, some people just use uvb tubes on the babies but i like to use a low wattage basking lamp aswell, this can bump the temperature up if you are not carefull though.
jen23
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about silent crickets? thats what they sell at my local shop... i live in manchester. no the male is in a small plastic tank i got off lee. it's not heated, but i'm letting him stay in my bedroom where its fairly warm Smile i'm using a replti-glo compact 10.0 UV bulb in a repti-glo reflector which sits nicely on top with the bulb over the hole in the lid. helps a bit with the temp too. he ate his cricket soon as i put em in this mornin so i had to put some more in Very Happy not really seeing the female eat tho. there's plenty of food in her viv but she's just ignoring it... they're not bothing her tho, more comcerned with eating my plants! considering getting her a smaller viv for a bit... she's 4 months though so she shoud be ok really. think i just need proof she is eating as i wouldn't know in the big viv, feeders hide everywhere!
unbreakable
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try fruit flies, they are easier for the young panthers to catch, mine love them.
jen23
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do the fruit flies actually fly? i thought they were too old for fruit flies now? 4 months and 2 months (ish). or would they just make up part of their diet with crickets as well?

male goes an amazin black n gold colour when he hunts Very Happy
LeeWarren
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jen,

Is the males appetite increasing now?

The female is really to big for fruitfly. What size viv is your female in?
You could try placing a few crickets in a dish under her favorite branch. This may help getting her to feed.
dartfrog
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jennifer
I think they may be a bit old for fruitflies why dont you get some maggots from your local fishing tackle shop & hatch them into housflies they wont be able to resist them.
Heather Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: