Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Houten, first time visit.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Upcoming Shows / Events & reviews of previous reptile expos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H.S.
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Houten, first time visit. Reply with quote

Myself and two others decided to visit the Reptile (and other animal) show at Houten on Sunday, we decided to drive there and back in a day as it is only 200miles from Calais and we are based in Kent.
I booked the 04:35 (check-in before 04:00) Eurotunnel crossing. So I left my home at 02:30, collected the other two at 02:45 and headed off for Folkestone. Arriving at the Eurotunnel automated check-in at 03:30, hoping for an earlier train. However, there wasn't one, so we just boarded the booked train after a short wait. It appears Customs aren't too bothered about what leaves Britain because we didn't even have to show our passports.
We alighted the train in Calais at 06:15 local time, and set off for Houten.
Having driven abroad before, I had no worries about the driving, except for some reservations regarding circumnavigating the Antwerp ring successfully.
As expected, the journey went smoothly and without problem until the dreaded Antwerp Ring, then it went a little pear shaped. We managed to get through and out the other side, but not without much discussion, a few u-turns and comments such as 'you see that road over there? We are meant to be on it!' Rolling Eyes
Having survived the Antwerp Ring, we pulled in for one of many loo stops, where we were expected to pay 3cents for a wee! not having anything smaller than 10Euros, we crossed our legs (which makes it awkward to drive) until we found a free loo! which luckily was close by.
None of us are tight, but it didn't look like the loo lady had any change and I didn't want to pay a tenner for the loo.
The rest of the journey went without hiccup, and the scenery flew by, as pointed out by one of our party (many times), the rather flat scenery.
Houten and the Expo centre were easy to find, really easy in fact, and we were soon parked up and ready for the queue. It was now 09:40 so just over 3hrs journey including stops and the delays at the Antwerp ring.
The queueing didn't actually take that long, probably 20-30mins, but a word of warning here. We joined the main queue, but a little later we noticed a second queue, this was actually for tickets, so while I remained in the main queue, the other guys in the party went and queued for tickets and rejoined me just as I got to the entrance.
So, if you do not have an advance ticket, make sure you get your tickets before joining the main queue!
As you can imagine, by the time we got inside, we were filled with anticipation and eager to experience the huge great shows that Europe offer but the smaller (law hindered) UK shows cannot.
On entering the Expo centre, we saw the hastily scribbled cardboard sign pointing us to the 'Reptiles' and in we marched.
We stopped dead, glanced at each other in disbelief, was this it? a small hall, smaller than the UK shows with about 25 tables, of which a lot were empty!
We were crestfallen, I couldn't believe it.
We walked around the show in about 25 minutes and then walked around it again, and again.
We discussed what we saw, and I was ready to call it a day and head off home.
However, as this show had other animals and one of my party has several avaries, he suggested we check out the bird hall.
This we did, unfortunately the 'Bird hall' was full of small mammals and hardly any Birds, this was getting worse.
Then as we headed out of the Bird hall, one of our party noticed the hall next door, it was a very large hall, it was very busy and it was very full of Reptiles!
Yes, we had discovered some kind of overflow hall at first, and spent an hour and a half wandering round and round this small hall, when just 100yds away was the main Reptile hall. Our faces lit up and we were once again the proverbial kids in a sweet shop!
Very Happy
I have to say that I was really impressed, especially with the dry goods. There was everything from Book sellers to Viv builders, plants and decor of every kind, if you wanted something for your viv, you could have got it there.
As for the animals, well, they were all there. Yes there was an abundance of Boas and Pythons, but there was a good deal of variety too. Species you just don't see over here in the UK.
I had a simple 'shopping list' and managed to get a couple of animals that I was after, although I didn't particularly want youngsters, I did end up buying a trio of 06 and 07 Brooksi 'triple' hets. I also got a lovely adult Goini too, so I was very happy.
As mentioned, there were some stunning animals, but for me, I was attracted to a pair of adult white-sided Brooksi, but didn't have the 700Euro asking price, or anywhere near enough to try and haggle a lower price.
We must have wandered around the show time and time again, but each time you would see something you hadn't noticed before.
We stayed long enough to see a few prices reduced and that is when I bought the youngsters, managing to get imo a good deal Very Happy
About 15:30 we made our way to the car, and set off for the return trip.
At this point, I would like to mention that it had been brilliant sunshine all day, although there was a chilly breeze.
The return journey was uneventful, much like the journey there, that is until we reached that damned Antwerp Ring, and history repeated itself, with the added bonus of a diversion (without obvious diversion signs), but we survived, just.
As we entered France it started to drizzle, then rain, then snow! By the time we entered the Eurotunnel car park, it was a blizzard outside, but we were early by just over two hours, so I tried to get us on an earlier train, unfortunately they were fully booked. We moved the Reptiles into the backseat and switched on the heating, monitoring all the time with a thermometer and managing to maintain a suitable temperature.
Finally we boarded our train which was due to leave at 21:50, but actually left at 21:30.
By this time, I was feeling the effects of the long day and dozed off during the rail trip.
At the other side, everybody was dropped off, the reps were sorted out and I passed out (content but knackered) on the sofa.

Would I do it again?

Most definately. Cool

Oh, and for interest, the Eurotunnel trip was £62.99 for return rail trip Folkestone to Calais, Travel insurance for upto four people and Euro Breakdown cover. Petrol came to about £60, so just over £120.
Not a bad price between three people.
James
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great report sounds like you had a good day once you found the main hall Laughing I would love to go to a european show but i don't think i could handle all that driving especially in my car (an old mini).
Jas
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write up Very Happy , Houten i think is my favourite, easy to get too and nice venue.
garysumpter
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have invited me, a fellow Kent bloke!!! Razz

MUST get to one of these non-uk shows at some stage!! Smile

Gary

http://www.sitewonders.co.uk
gary@sitewonders.co.uk
reptileparadise
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you had a very nice day!

The small reptile room in the back really sucked (altough it offered a nice chance to catch up with some people)
But it was very badly situated, filled quite bad, no one knew it was there...
penfold
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: houten Reply with quote

we were there from 8 a.m and only found out about that room at 12 o clock there was some seriously ugly cats in the hall next door Very Happy
1.1albino boas 1.5hogg islands 0.1dbl het sunglow 1.0 salmon hypo 0.1 anery boa 1.0jungle carpet1.1kalatoa dwarf retics 1.1black bloods1.1guyana red tail1.1san fransisco garter1.2applegate gophers1.3 yemens.columbian red tail1.1hermans.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great write up...this was the first Houten I've missed for a while so reading your post saved me the effort of going Laughing

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
jon_g
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great review,

Houten has great shows, and visiting holland is great also.

They are a much more civilised event than hamm, even snake day has a good relexed feel about it.

I prefered going by boat to calais as you could get a decent breakfast on the way and staying a couple of nights,

Then on the way back stopping at the big chocolate shop not far from the belgium border.

Always a great weekend.

http://www.worldwidefauna.com

Exporters from Indonesia, You have tried the rest now try the best!!

http://worldwidefauna.com/index.php?cPath=52_22

http://www.ecoterrariumsupply.com/
H.S.
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you liked the write-up, it really was a good day. I am tempted to go to Snake Day later in the year. Cool

Scott, I think you were missed as I didn't see many Cresties there tbh.Wink

Quote:
I prefered going by boat to calais as you could get a decent breakfast on the way and staying a couple of nights

I used to always cross the channel by boat, but on one crossing the weather was 'a bit choppy' and we had to wait outside Dover Port for an hour before docking. I was very ill and have never crossed by boat again. Rolling Eyes
I have to say that the Eurotunnel is a great setup, really easy and quick.
I use it mainly when on my bike, and it is so much better than the ferries.
jon_g
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

H.S. wrote:
I used to always cross the channel by boat, but on one crossing the weather was 'a bit choppy' and we had to wait outside Dover Port for an hour before docking. I was very ill and have never crossed by boat again. Rolling Eyes
I have to say that the Eurotunnel is a great setup, really easy and quick.
I use it mainly when on my bike, and it is so much better than the ferries.

LOL, yes the channel can be very rough sometimes, although allot worse when you go on the vomet comet (fast catarmaran) rather than a full size ferry.
After a rough trip on the fast boats i didn't ever set foot on one again, on the full size ferries I always had good experiances.

Very Happy

If the weather isn't too cold I might pop to snake day this year.

http://www.worldwidefauna.com

Exporters from Indonesia, You have tried the rest now try the best!!

http://worldwidefauna.com/index.php?cPath=52_22

http://www.ecoterrariumsupply.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Upcoming Shows / Events & reviews of previous reptile expos All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: