Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tam and Sams viv watering device

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Tam and Sams viv watering device Reply with quote

A scotsmans alternative to a pump powered misting system, waterfall or drip wall. Wink

This is what Tam and I have been working on for keeping my vivs nice and wet - a dripping system which can be used on my stack of vivs, in conjunction with spraying.

A fridge drawer on top of my viv stack acts as a reservoir for a quantity of treated tap water. In this is a length of air tubing for fishtank air systems.
This tube attaches to a gang valve, which is currently strapped on the side of the reservoir.

The gang valve has 5 "taps" on it, each of which will eventually be linked up to a viv with more air tubing. In the viv, small lengths of tubing are connected by open T pieces, which act as drippers.

Once switched on at the gang valve, water is syphoned out of the reservoir, down the tubing and out through the free ends of the T pieces, providing a steady trickling of water out of the system and into the viv. My plan is to run it for a few minutes in the morining and evening to replace that which is lost via evaporation(I have no drains on these vivs)
A bonus of this system is that I can alter the flow through the t pieces - a factor I am going to use to attempt and breed the firebelly toads by providing something of a rain chamber.

The only problems I have come across so far are as follows:

Keeping the in-viv part of the system level
- if it isnt level, all the water pours out of one of the T pieces

Attaching the in-viv part of the system - this was easy in the firebelly viv, as I simply taped it to one of the stress bars of the fishtank. In the hahneli viv, I wedged the line into the gap between the cocofibre and the roof, however this is not ideal as it created more of a "drip wall" than faux rain. I might consider suspending it from the upper ventilation panel... but this is something il work through later.

Aesthetics - its a pretty fugly system right now, as I am still trying to iron out the above problems, however I will probably neaten it up a bit once i'm happy its having the desired effect! I might set up seperate systems for each side of my rack to reduce the number of t pieces supplied by the reservoir.

Any suggestions or comments?
herp_boi
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks good mate. Well done Wink
1.1 Varanus acanthurus
0.1 Python Regius
0.0.10 varanus acanthurus eggs. Very Happy
0.0.31 Heterodon nasicus eggs.
http://www.freewebs.com/njbherps/index.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: