Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

panther references
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krakilin
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: panther references Reply with quote

good day to all,
i would like to ask for help. i have been searching the net for references/care sheets about panther chameleons. i have a neonate and i have read that they are very sensitive. is it ok if you give me your references for panther chameleons? this is the first time i got a pet before researching and i am pretty scared that i will not do my best because of lack of information. i have been researching. i just want to make sure that i won't miss any important points.
thank you very much.=)
mcfluffin
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe many people use the exo terra viv to raise juvenile panthers...I was lucky enough to aqcuire an adult which gets past all the teething problems, but there's plenty of info around...adcham.com has a very good info section on baby care...http://www.adcham.com/html/husbandry/babycare.html

Lee Warren, KroakyKaren, Redbelly, Rickeezee...all experienced with panthers...I suggest you search for their threads about their panther babies Very Happy I believe the babies require pretty high humidity, and slightly cooler temperatures than adults...but don't take my word for it Wink

I'd say good advice for baby chams is to use a suitable sized food...(small crickets and fruitflies for tiny juveniles), as anything too big might stress them out. Make sure they have plenty of cover to hide in, and supplement fairly regularly since the animals are growing rapidly
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow. thank you very much. i've read the care sheet and it's very helpful. Very Happy
i will search for the threads. thank you very much again. Very Happy
tigerbaby2k
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old is the baby? From what LeeWarren says, he recommends more a mesh type viv - this stops the respiratory infections occuring. If you have a problem keeping the heat in with this, you can place a board or something on 2 or 3 sides. Babies do like it cooler - around 80-85 I believe. Spray them 2-3 times a day (the environment, not the baby itself) BUT you must make sure the enclosure dries out completely before the next spray.
Did you take this on as a rescue? How is it doing? Eating ok?
Good luck with him/her Smile Keep us updated adn pics too!

Counting down the weeks til I get my Cham! My beardie is 10 1/2 years old Smile

1.0 Bearded Dragon
1.0 Lhasa apso
1.1 Lionheads
0.1 Syrian Hamster
mcfluffin
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics indeed Very Happy
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigerbaby2k wrote:
How old is the baby? From what LeeWarren says, he recommends more a mesh type viv - this stops the respiratory infections occuring. If you have a problem keeping the heat in with this, you can place a board or something on 2 or 3 sides. Babies do like it cooler - around 80-85 I believe. Spray them 2-3 times a day (the environment, not the baby itself) BUT you must make sure the enclosure dries out completely before the next spray.
Did you take this on as a rescue? How is it doing? Eating ok?
Good luck with him/her Smile Keep us updated adn pics too!

oh. i am using a pt-400. i don't know how old he is. i asked the breeder but haven't received a reply yet. anyway, i'll just ask again tomorrow.
i spray for about 2 minutes. then i make sure that the sides of the enclosure are dry. but, i am using wood shavings as substrate. and they are always wet. am i doing something wrong, sir?
i am from the philippines. we don't have local chameleons here. hehe. i got him from a breeder. i was so worried because it hasn't eaten since last week. but he ate earlier. it seems he wants to be hand fed. he won't even take the feeder from the forceps. hehe. (i was scared of insects. haha.)

he was able to eat one meal/super worm earlier. i am hoping he feeds again tomorrow.

@tigerbaby2k and mcfluffin
i will try and get a picture of it beside a ruler to give better visualization.
for now, here are the pictures:

thanks for all the help.=) i actually am keeping snakes and other people say that it's a big step to go straight to chameleons before taking care of other lizards. i really thank you all very much.=)
mcfluffin
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks OK to me...try a little drip bottle for giving him water to make sure he's hydrated (my adult panther loves his bloody bottle)...and try a variety of foods because chameleons can be picky sometimes...

very nice baby you have there Very Happy Makes me want a new one...do you know what locale this one is? Also, what is the plant he's on...looks really nice...you might find he's been eating that too Laughing
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
am using wood shavings as substrate. and they are always wet

The vast majority of people who keep Panthers would say not top use any substrate. The reason is the substrate retains the moisture and can lead to respiratory infections. Just place a plastic tray or something to catch the water that drips and you can then empty this off- can even add some absorbant paper towels and refresh daily.
The lil guy is looking good! Very nice. You could also try using other plants such as Umbrella plants or fiscus (spelling?!) Try a big variety of feed.

Quote:
try a little drip bottle for giving him water to make sure he's hydrated (my adult panther loves his bloody bottle).

Definately agree with Mcfluffin-add a dripper Smile Can be as simple as a cup ontop of the mesh that has a pinsized hole in the bottom for the water to drip through on to a leaf or something- most Cams will sit for ages under one each day.
Let us know how he's doing Smile

Counting down the weeks til I get my Cham! My beardie is 10 1/2 years old Smile

1.0 Bearded Dragon
1.0 Lhasa apso
1.1 Lionheads
0.1 Syrian Hamster
krakilin
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's how he looks like last saturday. right now he's color white. when i spray water, the pattern starts to appear. when i continue on doing it, the pattern becomes darker. then, sometimes he's color black (earlier he was). i was not able to bring him outside for some sunshine. he was colored black and looked really small. i can't determine whether he has small eyes or not. i gave him a shower earlier before i fed him. i sprayed at a different direction but made sure that the mist would go to him.
he's becoming thin. i guess maybe because he was not able to eat for a week. i did not think of feeding him directly from my hand since i got him because i was a bit scared of the insects. hehe. anyway, i had the courage earlier and was able to feed him. yey.
i hope he becomes ok the next few days now that i know he would eat when the food is in my hand.
my friend (the breeder) gave me a dripper. it has this small "faucet". i would occasionally go to it and position the dripper so that the water would drop into his mouth. is that bad? will he go away if he doesn't want the dripping water?
i believe mine is the nosey be.=)
the plant he's on i do not know. i just got those branches from the breeder also. hehe. the flowers are fake. will he it them? oh no.
LeeWarren
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a nice grown on female from those pics.

Put a nice umbrella plant in the enclosure as these hold water droplets much better than any fake plants. Spray once in the morning and once in the evening. When you spray in the evening turn your dripper on and your chameleon should lap the water from the leaves or even straight from the dripper pipe.

I prefer my adults drinking straight from the dripper. I feel they get a much better water intake this way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: