Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cannibal Roaches
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muttley_109
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Cannibal Roaches Reply with quote

I've just watched a lobster roach attempt to shed. It managed to get its head out but then fell off the side of the tub.
As soon as it hit the floor another roach ran over and looked like it was trying to pull the shed skin off. Not long after three more roaches,( I dont know the name but the stage before they are adult) ran over and started fighting over the white roach. One ran off with the shed skin, the others kept fighting. Then an adult roach ran over picked up the white roach and ran off under the egg carton.

What were they up to? Were they just fighting over the shed? Did the adult come to the rescue?
Or are they just nasty little buggers that were going to eat the defenceless roach?
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who knows but I guess they wanted to eat the shed skin as its full of nutrients.

Perhaps they were re-enacting an historical saga for your entertainment all sounds good fun either way Laughing

I have not found lobsters to be cannibalistic but mine allways have a good supply of food. I have however found some other roach species to be nasty swines like that.

Muttley_109
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was fascinating to watch. If they were going to eat it they cant be doing that too often as the numbers are still increasing. Maybe it was just the juveniles squabbleing over the skin and the adult came to break it up?
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muttley_109 wrote:
It was fascinating to watch. If they were going to eat it they cant be doing that too often as the numbers are still increasing. Maybe it was just the juveniles squabbleing over the skin and the adult came to break it up?

Perhaps they were re-enacting Silence of The Lambs, the guard scene where Hannibal takes the gurads skin. Perhaps they are planing to escape Shocked

Seriously though it was more probably a fight over the eating of the skin. Not to sure what the adult roach was doing rescuing the other roach. They are definitely a community Roach and panic if they are separated from their peers.

Silence of the Roaches, did you hear your roach screaming Clarissa? Laughing

Insectsunlimited
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Roach CANNABALISM Reply with quote

Hi, Dave again & if it looks as though the newly shed was being "eaten" by others, it could possibly be because they don`t have enough moisture. They do eat dead carcasses. Roaches are not "normally cannibalistic" ... BUT there is an exception... male adult EUBLABERUS prosticus (Orange head roach), will actively eat their own nymphs... & a selection of other insects too (not standard mealworms cos I tried them)... & on the subject of mealworms (Tenebrio molitar), they will eat each other for moisture too... usually when they shed into pupa... & are defenceless. Regards... Dave.

It may be the early bird that gets the worm but it`s the 2nd mouse that gets the cheese.
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the Silence of the Lambs Theory. Very Happy

Muttley_109
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just has a look under the egg cartons to see if i could find the white roach but theres no sign of it.

I dont think its moisture as i usually mist them once or twice a day.

maybe im not feeding them enough.

Do you know if they will eat IAMS cat biscuits as I have loads for the gliders.

I usually give the roaches salad/squash etc the same as i give my beardie really.
Muttley_109
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found the adult!

He had a napkin around his neck and a mini bottle of chianti Shocked

Laughing
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feed my roaches kibble at times so I dont see why not.

Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muttley_109 wrote:
I just found the adult!

He had a napkin around his neck and a mini bottle of chianti Shocked

Laughing

Laughing Thats the spirit!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: