Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Confused about roach identity!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark_w
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Confused about roach identity! Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been scrolling through the very long thread on roaches below and been getting confused...

Scott: Were you given a latin name when you bought your 'Dutch red runners'?

I think that they may be different from the wood roaches that I have.

Cheers,
Mark.
Mwoxy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

I know what you mean. I had a colony, they were Parcoblatta zebra(not necessarily the species discussed), they looked very much like the 'red runners' referred to in the post.

Although prolific I found them too short lived and tooooo fast!!!!! Males especially died very quickly.

I know I've said it before, but for me the B. dubia are much easier, breeding , feeding etc. I guesss they fit with my lazy side Laughing

Regards

Mark
mark_w
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark. Thanks for the reply. Mine came as Parcoblatta zebra, but I can't see any difference between them and the 'red runners', which I'm guessing are Blatta lateralis (used to be called Shelfordella tartara), which has been kept on the continent for years.

I don't really know why but my dubia are breeding really well, my giganteus have started producing, but the zebra have got going at all. I have plenty of adults. Any tips?

Cheers,
Mark.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try and confirm the latin on the red runners.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Insectsunlimited
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Red runner query Reply with quote

Hi, Dave Messer @ Insects Unlimited & thought I`d come in on this & try & sort something out. The roaches I bought were from the Hamm show 2 years ago & were sold to me as "red runners",Parcoblatta zebra. The Parcoblatta zebra is the wood roach. B. lateralis is the Turkistan roach but I don`t know if they also get called "red runners" over there as they are very similar... & both lay similar egg cases. If you look on the Allpet roach site,they have got a picture of Parcoblatta zebra (although not a very good one) of 2 nymphs & an adult male. I`ve been trying to obtain B. lateralis to add to my stock but have not been able to get any from Hamm for the last 2 years. Only place I know is in the States & they`re reluctant to export to U.K.Be interested on discussion to clarify as I didn`t intend to sell under false pretences. They should breed at 75 - 82f well. Have they got plenty of moisture (like a slice of apple or a whole potato with the end cut off).
I would like to add the old cliche "If your happy with your order,tell others...if not,tell me". I can`t correct things if I`m not told about them. I`ve a sneaking suspicision that common names are sometimes unreliable & always verify in latin.Nick-names are even less reliable by the look of things.If there is any doubt whatsoever, I shall drop "red runners" from my advert immediately. I don`t wish to mislead anyone.
I have bought 3 different lots of Blaberus craniifer as nymphs & have still not got the true black-winged variety. They all grew out into mongrels. Identification seems to be a problem with some dealers & I SO don`t want to become one of them.My intentions are honourable.

It may be the early bird that gets the worm but it`s the 2nd mouse that gets the cheese.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The name I have been given the for 'Red Runners' as in my photographs is B. lateralis.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Insectsunlimited
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: ex "red runners" Reply with quote

Hi, Dave @ Insects Unlimited & in view of what has been said,I will drop the prefix "red runners" from all my adverts.I would just like to say I have fallen victim to an over-zealous "insect salesman" rather than an insect enthusiast & it was no way my intention to mislead anyone.If any of my customers feel as though I have ripped them off... get in touch as I will gladly refund every penny( & pay all the postage) for every colony returned.IMMEDIATELY. (If they came from me).
Mistakes are often genuinly made with insects & if we ALL corroborated with each other,these problems can be ironed out & make it a much better understood science.That way we will all get what we order.
I am a very busy person but I always go through the forums now & again to see what ideas & thoughts are being aired.That is how this case arose...because I found it.If you think someone has got something wrong...get hold of them & tell them because they will carry on blissfully ignorant (as I have) unless enlightened.There is so little known about the majority of the 3,500 species of roach that we are all learning something new every day.That`s what forums are for... & while we are about it,is there anyone out there who wishes to sell a colony of TRUE B. lateralis (Turkistan roach)(a.k.a. "red runners"). Get hold of me on djmesser@ntlworld.com & I`ll write a cheque out for them. Regards & sincere apologies for any misleadings. It was NOT intentional... Dave.

It may be the early bird that gets the worm but it`s the 2nd mouse that gets the cheese.
mark_w
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Please don't think that I was implying anything negative about the roaches or you for that matter. I was just getting abit confused, becuase in the various discussion threads, people have been switching between the names red runner and banded wood roach. As you know, it would seem that these are actually different species, even though to the layperson like me they appear very similar.

I am very happy with the roaches supplied to me (by you), and happy with them being P. zebra, which is what you said they were and what I wanted!!!!

I have now found a few egg cases, so they may be getting going now...

For reference, James Tuttle at blaberus.com may be willing to ship to the UK; he told me he was...

All the best,
Mark.
Insectsunlimited
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: "red runners" Reply with quote

Hi Mark, I didn`t feel you were having a go.It`s just that a query arose & by talking it out, I am now the wiser.
As I have said before, when you ad another new species,you take the sellers word for it as to what they are & if he`s wrong...you are blissfully ignorant. I want to keep all my customers happy &, thanks to you, I am a step closer to that goal & thankfully, none of my customers have complained. I will still sell P. zebra(banded wood roach) as they are good value, in great demand & tick most of the boxes for a lot of customers. Now enlightened, I will do my utmost to get a colony of B. lateralis & do likewise & hopefully they will also be available most of the year too.
In conclusion, I was more annoyed with myself for being wrong and the least I could do to rectify the mistake was to offer total refunds to anyone who fealt mislead. I can only assume everyone is happy as no-one has returned any. Regards & certainly NO ILL FEELINGS... Dave.

Insectsunlimited
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: "red runner" Reply with quote

Hi dave @ Insects Unlimited & I have added to the thread mislead "red runners".Let us have your feedback. Regards... Dave.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: