Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My poor rescues eyes...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Geckos - ALL species
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BabygyalSW2
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: My poor rescues eyes... Reply with quote

Rescued this little gecko, Toko Dragon, when she was 2 weeks old as her eyes looked slightly strange...i knew what would happen and now its happened, I'm praying there is something that could possibly give her an easier time. basically the skin has grown over the surface of the eye, now half of her eye is covered in skin..thankfully one eye is worse than the other.

operating is out of the question i know as one scratch on the retina and shes blind anyway...but is there anything that could probably make her eyes more comfortable? shes on kitchen towel so nothing could possibly get into her bad eye and irritate it.

Pic 1:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x121/babygyalsw2/DSCF1099.jpg

Pic 2:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x121/babygyalsw2/DSCF1114.jpg

Pictures reduced to links by MJ please keep images to a maximum of 800x600.
Lynne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about false tears, from the vet!! i know when my wee dogs tear ducts stopped working he got drops from vet to make him more comfy, they probably wouldnt can be used on lizards but he may have some that could.
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it not just stuck shed skin? Confused
BabygyalSW2
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James wrote:
is it not just stuck shed skin? Confused

no its skin growing over the surface of the eye...quite common. if it was shed skin i'd have it off by now hun believe me
James
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quite common ive never heard of it before Embarassed If it was one of my leos i would take it to the vet they might be able to cut it? but I would imagine if its not causing any distress to the animal and its still eating and pooing they will probably just leave it for now.
BabygyalSW2
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James wrote:
quite common I've never heard of it before Embarassed If it was one of my Leos i would take it to the vet they might be able to cut it? but I would imagine if its not causing any distress to the animal and its still eating and pooing they will probably just leave it for now.

they cant remove the skin surgically as its too much of a risk...as the cornea is so delicate, if the vet so much as scratched the eye in any way, big or tiny, the gecko would probably be worse off and ending up being blind.

Toko has been like this her whole life but it gets worse, as it gets worse her ability to hunt is being affected as she's constantly missing the food - that's why I'm worried
BabygyalSW2
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James wrote:
quite common I've never heard of it before Embarassed If it was one of my Leos i would take it to the vet they might be able to cut it? but I would imagine if its not causing any distress to the animal and its still eating and pooing they will probably just leave it for now.

they cant remove the skin surgically as its too much of a risk...as the cornea is so delicate, if the vet so much as scratched the eye in any way, big or tiny, the gecko would probably be worse off and ending up being blind.

Toko has been like this her whole life but it gets worse, as it gets worse her ability to hunt is being affected as she's constantly missing the food - that's why I'm worried
Lynne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any news on her eyes????
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was thinking if her hunting is getting worse you could feed her more worms. meal worms, wax worms etc. i suppose you could always pull the back legs of crickets and put them in a dish so they cant get out but she can get them.
Lynne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James wrote:
i was thinking if her hunting is getting worse you could feed her more worms. meal worms, wax worms etc. i suppose you could always pull the back legs of crickets and put them in a dish so they cant get out but she can get them.

or feed her with tweezers!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Geckos - ALL species All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: