Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Glauerti vivs....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miffikins
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Glauerti vivs.... Reply with quote

Ok so my friends offered me some kimberlies, now I know the temps and high humidity & diet. But I have seen people keep them in 6x2x2's but also arboreal vivs....so I'm torn what sort of viv to go with if I decide to take them......

Sooo, was wondering what size vivs you keep your guys in??

Thanks!! Very Happy
Thomas Shanta
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not kept Kimberlys but I have kept Storri,I've been looking into keeping Kimberlys myself for a while now and when i do get a 1.1 or 1.2 they will be going in a 4ft longx3ft highx2-3ft deep.
Bohan
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine in this but you dont need to go mad like this:

They do like the climb though and its a good way to provide a thermal gradient, heat rising and all that. They can be kept in your standard 6x2x2 but would benifit from having climbable walls and cover.
Saying that mine have so much cover some days they can be hard to spot but its nice when you do.
Also it is harder to interact/handle them but i am not fussed about that they are differnt from my ackies in that respect but have come to my fingers on occasions to snatch roaches.
They dont need high humidity as far as im aware, mine are kept fairly arrid but these last few months i have increased the RH to about 55-65%.
High humidity to me means around the 70-80 RH mark.
Viv size/dimensions go with what youve got if the space/volume is gunna be satisfactory Very Happy

2.0.0 Varanus glauerti.
1.1.0 Varanus a brachyurus.
1.1.0 Chlamydosaurus kingii.
1.3.4 Lacerta vivipera.
kroakykaren
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a cracking viv Bohan Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree, its gorgeous.
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great viv Laughing
miffikins
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen your viv before bohan and marvelled over it Very Happy its amazing. I love the background!!!

I would like to go 6ft long, but I don't think we quite have that length (have to measure when I go home next week), and I know they like to climb so I figured height would be lovely. Read a lot of lietrature that says they spend a lot of time in trees and things

I was goin to get my ackies a longer viv, but then I thought why not go for some more height with them too, but with shelving and reptile ladders coz Barn has no claws to grip.......so 4x2x4, same size for the kims too...

Will 4ft be enough length do you think??

Bohan what lights do you use?? I use standard 100watt bulbs for my ackies but am thinkin of shifting to those 100watt reflector ones, the big ones.

Thanks guys!

Very Happy
Bohan
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 150w halogen for basking, a bank of 4 ordinary 4ft flourescent tubes and two 4ft reptile based uv tubes (cant remember the exact name) for getting the lumens up.
4 x 2 x 4 in hight sounds plenty Very Happy
Varanus glauerti the kimberly rock monitor i have never seen them in the wild but i imagine them skipping from rock to rock, shooting up rocky screes and escarpments, diving through long grasses on steep banks and roosting in cracks and Crevices at night? i expect they will climb trees, they are reported to climb observers if still for long enough Laughing
When i bought my yellow ackies they had no front claws at all so i had to make a flat rather than tall viv so as they dont hurt themselves if they fall Very Happy

2.0.0 Varanus glauerti.
1.3.4 Lacerta vivipera.
miffikins
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the problem with Barney, he has no front toes, his feet are literally stumps and he has 3 claws I think between his 2 back feet. He loves to climb, but I want to make it safe for him without limiting the female who has nearly all full toes and claws.....toughy!

Hopefully, I'll be able to take these kimmies off my friend, time and logistics allowing, then if we can seal the deal, get started on their viv Very Happy

If not I'll get the viv anyway and wait for some more to come along Laughing

What livefoods are yours eatin Bohan? I've read that they can be fussy at times...

Thanks for your help!

Kate
Bohan
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foods i feed mine are mostly cockroaches ( lobsters, red runners, small dubias and surinamensis + others i cant id) i also feed the odd defrosted fuzzy mouse, chopped.
They took crickets in the first place but absolutely refuse to eat them now.
When i have old praying mantids starting to die off i pop these in for them too and they love them, also the odd Teginaria sp (house spider) the speed and blurred legs make them impossible to resist Very Happy

Oh, they often take the odd large woodlouse, which is good and i am yet to offer them snails.
My female V a brachyurus loves woodlice too, which is also good esspecially in veiw of her recent condition Very Happy

2.0.0 Varanus glauerti.
1.3.4 Lacerta vivipera.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small! All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: