Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are frilled dragons like as pets?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Bearded, Rankins & Frilled Dragons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiteraven666
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: What are frilled dragons like as pets? Reply with quote

My local reptile shop has got a couple of baby frilled dragons and was wondering what theyre temperaments were like in general. I know they get big as adults and require a huge enclosure and apparently eat a lot.

Basking temps are around 100 degrees farenheit and cool end i around 80 degrees. Feed bugs, veggies and occasional rodent when adults. And they like a vertical terrarium opose to horizontal.

I dont know what to get. My wish list consists of a crested gecko,helmetted gecko, frilly or panther chameleon but can only get away with of of these.

Kelly
Treakle (leopard gecko)
Jake (Baby beardie)
Draven (corn snake)
Denzil (chequered garter snake)
Samson+Mickey (Crested geckos)
Cody (Velvet gecko)
beardie barmy
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i own 3 frilled dragons and have had them a few years there very active and inquisitive they can be skitty compared to beardies but very rewarding to observe i would mot swap them for any other reptile
whiteraven666
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool thankx for replying.

I bought a book on them and reading it has made me want one more. Will they just sit there on you? do they like baths?

Kellyx
Treakle (leopard gecko)
Jake (Baby beardie)
Draven (corn snake)
Cody (Velvet gecko)
alan p
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi frillies are great pets once they calm down and get used to being handled mine love a bath and i give them a large water dish and spray them once a day
Bohan
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine are young but they are usually on the go for a large part of the day, leaping from branch top to branch bottom and running back up again, They usually start to settle for the evening. They will feed from my fingers most of the time but have started to "frill up" at me some times but thats probably because my handling them is infrequent and random. They dont seem stressy and rarely crouch down.
They have started taking bits of fruit but i dont feed it too often at this age as i believe they would be better on insects while still growing.
Like most agamids they really chew their food compared to monitors which seem to just bolt it as soon as they've got a grip on it.
They have in the last month started bathing in their water bowl.
I have moved them from an ordinary aquarium to a modified hifi cabinet for better height and this has really made there day as there behaviour and activity levels have increased a lot, i can just watch them like the tv now Laughing

Lots of upright branches and a horizontal for basking coupled with a few silk plants halfway up and at top for security.

Temps under basking light = 120f (dont often find them basking though, and then its usually after a meal)
Top of viv = 90-100f
Floor temps = 70-80f

All heating and lighting goes off at night and the lowest temp i've recorded is 68f but my front room is south facing and warm even in winter.
I am using play sand as a substrate but will be changing over to one of my top soil recipes when / soon as i can or as soon as my garden is dry enough to put through the colander Very Happy

2.0.0 Varanus glauerti.
1.1.0 Varanus a brachyurus.
1.1.0 Chlamydosaurus kingii.
1.3.4 Lacerta vivipera.
whiteraven666
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOOOOOOO I want one badly

my local reptile shop has a couple of babies for sale and im goin to Hamm on friday. Would they have they have then at hamm??

What is the best age to get them?
Treakle (leopard gecko)
Jake (Baby beardie)
Draven (corn snake)
Cody (Velvet gecko)
watts501
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiteraven666 wrote:
OOOOOOOO I want one badly

my local reptile shop has a couple of babies for sale and im goin to Hamm on friday. Would they have they have then at hamm??

What is the best age to get them?

they do have them at hamm! but usually sub adult and personally i would get them over here or from babies as sum frills at hamm are WC!
Alex Thomas
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 frillies,1 male and 2 females..I find them facinating and watch them for hours.One is gravid and the other layed 6 eggs last week so looking forward to later this year.I think they make fantastic pets but they need a very large enclosure unlike beardies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Bearded, Rankins & Frilled Dragons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: