Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vets with Dragons again
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Bearded, Rankins & Frilled Dragons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jwonni
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Vets with Dragons again Reply with quote

Hello,

My Problem started as per the following post

http://www.captivebred.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16513

As you can see it started in november (from memory have not checked the post but i know it is in there) and people suggested brumation. I did mention that these were young dragons in the post but brumation was still the suggested problem.

I may be wrong but many places say babies dont brumate

Anyway the problem is still ongoing and 3 weeks ago i took them to the vets she looked at them and felt around their bones etc and said she did not see any problems no calcium problems and they seem healthy enough she also looked at a pic of my vivarium and said she could not fault that (after asking about uv/temps etc)

They are wide awake anough when handled but VERY rare to see them doing anything other than hiding asleep when not out being handled.

I had a poo sample done by the vets and they phoned me with the results today. She said they were able to isolate salmonella (which i beleive to be present in many reptiles and not a problem?) and isolated some sort of worm eggs.

I am going in to see the vet again on wednesday for another checkup and to have some sort of worming treatment done. would you have thought that maybe either of these things could be causing the problems i have mentioned?

Does anyone know how much roughly the worming treatment should be?

And lastly any other information people think might be useful.
Jwonni
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also wanted to ask do you think this could stunt there growth as i read somewhere that if not fed enough it could
kinyonga
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What brand and type (compact or linear/tube) light are you using on the cage?
Where they basking and alert, eyes open before this started?
minno
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my rankins is exactly the same, when hes out and handled hes alert dont try 2 escape but if i put him down he runs around, but bout 3 hours after i put him back he will go 2 hiding himself under the rocks, tbh i get him out every 3 days or so give him a check over ect and a warm bath let him run round on my bed ect
Jwonni
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an exo terra repti glo 10 i'd guess its about 8-10 inches up the back wall

Yeah they did great for 2-3 months always basking and gobbling up crickets and i cant think of anything major happening that might have brought it on

And as with minnow when i have had them out in the bath they bask for a while then dissapear usually until i get themout again
Jwonni
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well was at the vets today and she gave both a dose of a worming liquid via a long thin tube on a syringe

Total cost around £36 but the bottle of wormer is mine its not just the one dose

She weighed both dragons one was the same weight as when seen a couple of weeks ago and the other one put on 2g

she did mention that the one that has remained the same weight she thinks the muscle mass feels like it has slightly deteriorated

She said that salmonella is not somehting they would normally treat except with unwell animals so she has made me a reapeat appointment to see her in 2 weeks so she can see if there has been any improvement since worming and to give a second dose of the worming liquid

Sounds like if they do not perk up after being wormed then she is going to look at treating salmonella, although she said she does not expect to completly erradicate it
tigerbaby2k
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. What are you feeding/how often. What supplements/how often. What are the temperatures - day: ambient and basking and then night? They often pick up quite nicely after a wormign session. Salmonella as your vet has said is rarely, if ever treated unless reptiles are sick, as they carry it naturaly (hence washing hands every time we touch them Smile) It means it is often isolated on poo, but often is only a problem secondary to something else that is causing illness (a secondary pathogen)
Could you post some piccys of the viv and the babies on here?
Have you had dragson previously?
Hope they are picking up Smile

Counting down the weeks til I get my Cham! My beardie is 10 1/2 years old Smile

1.0 Bearded Dragon
1.0 Lhasa apso
1.1 Lionheads
0.1 Syrian Hamster
minno
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well atleast theres been a problem that they found, the worming is pretty standard procedure apparently,

mines up n about most of the time lyin on his log n perkin his head up when i move, aint seen him eat in a bout a week tho but all the locust that were put in there aint there now so im assuming he is eating

plus i finally got rid of the mites Very HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery Happy after a full 2 months of um lol
Jwonni
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigerbaby2k wrote:
Interesting. What are you feeding/how often. What supplements/how often. What are the temperatures - day: ambient and basking and then night? They often pick up quite nicely after a wormign session. Salmonella as your vet has said is rarely, if ever treated unless reptiles are sick, as they carry it naturaly (hence washing hands every time we touch them Smile) It means it is often isolated on poo, but often is only a problem secondary to something else that is causing illness (a secondary pathogen)
Could you post some piccys of the viv and the babies on here?
Have you had dragson previously?
Hope they are picking up Smile

God i'd given up on this thread only found it due to a search on this was first google popped up

Well i am back at the vets today and still no improvement i do think they have put on a little weight from force feeding but only a few grams. When i say force feeding its not getting rammed down their throats i have them sit on my knee and i open their mouth and place a dead cricket (not disease i pull the heads off) inside they sometimes spit it out and sometimes chew and swallow

Before illness they were being fed crickets/locusts/mealworms and some waxworms these would be dusted with calipso calcium powder 5 times a week and nutrobal the other two times they also always had fresh veg (rocket/watercress/greens/french salad)

At that time they were in a 3foot x 18inchx 18inch but at xmas i got a larger viv so they live in a 4x2x2 now. The temps under basking are 40C - 42C with the cool end going down to about 25C.

At night i am not entirely sure but i do have a ceramic heater on a stat set to go on if temp goes below 20C

Am at work at the moment but will try and post a pic later once i finish at the vets.

These are my first dragons (although i do intend to get more in future)

Will see what the vet says in a few hours
Jwonni
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from the vets she has said they are in her opinion looking a bit better and after weighing they have indeed put some weight on. She has given me a five day course of baytril for them and another appointment in 2 weeks to see how they are getting on

below are the pics

The viv this is the current viv

This is the smaller of the dragons

This is the larger of the dragons

[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Bearded, Rankins & Frilled Dragons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: