Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help please with keeping locusts .
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
puff
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Help please with keeping locusts . Reply with quote

Hi everyone only me,i am keeping 50 or more locusts in a seperate tank for feeding puff.so that i have plenty of food for him.i have a 2ft tank and a 100 watt bulb in there for them to keep them warm.i am putting lettuce and cabbage,in for them,is there anything else i could be doing to keep them alive and are there certain times to turn of the 100 watt spot lamp etc .or generally anything else i need to know etc.thanks .....PUFF
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just feed them spring greens or brussel top, keep them at 90f plus and offer dry bran.

they should continue to grow and will turn into adults within 5 weeks of hatching or within 10 days of being 5th's.

If you want to slow down the growing, turn all heat off at night.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
puff
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate.any idear how to bread these things,to save money on buying them.is it hard special conditions etc to bread them,?????
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not hard but does take up space and unless you are using 100's a week it's not worth the effort.

basically they need a dry viv set up at 90f, chicken mesh to climb on (close to the heat source as possible), feed spring green of other leafy matter. Put a dish of bran in. You need an egg laying pot of 10cms, I use damp peat as substrate. Change this every 3 days. The eggs will hatch in about 10 days at 28c. You can either set up a new colony each hatch (best method) or just keep adding them back with the breeders, then harvest what you need each day for your lizards.

Key points are
HOT
DRY
Never let them run out of food (they will eat each other)

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
puff
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea Why not,ill have a go at this,sounds good fun,and food on tap when i need it,he is eating now,,,,10 in the morning 10 at night,of medium locusts,so would be nice to GROW my own.ha ha ha ,plus good fun,.How do i get to know when they have layed there eggs in the damp peat,will they just know to go there and lay there eags,and when i change every three days how do i do that without disturbing the eggs,do i water them ,and when would they be big enough to be put back in with the breeders,
Thanks for ALL you good Knowledge Scot.
speake to you soon mate....
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will see the females laying the eggs, don't worry about disturbing them or checking for eggs, just get in the habit of changing them every 3 days.

Incubate the eggs at 28c then like I said either set them up in a new viv or add them back with the breeders.

Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

photo of one of my 'boxes of locust'

puff
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coooooool.ok mate i will go of and get my bits together,yjanks mate.. Laughing Laughing
jak2108
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you keep crix in the same tank as the locusts? And can you apply the same to crix to slow down the growing?
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jak2108 wrote:
Can you keep crix in the same tank as the locusts? And can you apply the same to crix to slow down the growing?

yes they can, and yes you can Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: