Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

temp help?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Corn, Kings, Rat & Milk snakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pamela_s
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: temp help? Reply with quote

hi there the temp hasn't been good in my room and the heat has stayed at 72f and at the highest 74f ( i know it should be a basking temp of 80f - 82f and 77f 79f in the day. it was ok yesterday it wasn't that cold outside im worried i can't heat the room more as the window hasn't been sealed properly and the air gets through i have placed her as far away from the window as poss the cancal was meant to do it before sat Evil or Very Mad (cancel are now coming on the 13 march) i have put some turkey foil under the heat mat to keep the heat in do u think this will help? i will go to rep place in morning any suggestions really appreciate what will happen if it don't get much warmer Crying or Very sad
Lynne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi pamela. what is the temp the heat mat is heating to? and what type of viv is the wee one in?
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi lynne i bought the set up and corn snake (amber) from amy zoo's there is a video of the same set up on video jug i googled corn snake care and it came up, i have set it up the same as he asked me loads of questions then he got what i needed but he didn't give me a thermostat could this be the prob or is that just to make sure it don't over heat? how will i test to see what the heat mat heats to im totally new to all this Embarassed maybe i should have read more before i got her Sad i can go to the rep place today if i need anything thanks
pamela_s
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have just put a thermometer on the heat mat will this tell me what it heats 2 Embarassed ??
pamela_s
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi lynne im confused coz i have just unstuck the thermometer a round one that was stuck above the basking area which read 23c i have put it on the substrate (as if the she was laying there) Smile and it reads 29c 83f and the strip one still says 22 - 23c
the round thermometer on the substrate is now a bit over the temp he recommended i was worried he was to cold now he might be to hot Confused am i stressing over nothing Embarassed
Lynne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corns like hot end temps around 80-83. the thermometers you are talking about, are not very good, but out the two you have i would favour the round one. you are much better with the laser gun for temps. you should have a stat on your heat mat, which should cover a third to half of your wee viv.
i always keep my younger corns at a bit warmer temps than the bigger ones, around 85 maybe.
if she is going around quite happily then dont worry too much. the mat is on outside of viv isnt it??? but get a stat as soon as you can. you should be able to get it at place you got your wee snakey. i am going to have look at the set up you have on google.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cant find the one you are talking about, but my first ever starter kit with argo, was a glass tank with a mesh lid. is this what you have?
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks lynne i feel better now Smile yer the mat is outside the viv and i think he forgot to give me a thermostat as on video jug he had one Smile i didn't notice till i got in and it wasn't in box ill pop there today and get one as i came in just before he was closing and a bit hectic what is a laser gun? Embarassed thanks
Lynne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laser gun is just what it says. you point it at what you want to measure and it gives an accurate reading of temp.
right if your wee tank is the glass one like my very first, which i still have by the way, this is how i had it set up. firstly, did you stick the wee feet on bottom, they will keep the bottom of the tank off the mat.
i had the mat underneath, but as i said the feet kept the glass bottom off the matt, then the tank sitting above the mat. it should cover a third to half of the tank. i used aspen at this point about half to an inch thick, cause they do like a burrow, and remember, its the aspen you measure the temp from. water down cool end along with a little hide, when they are small i give them the inside of loo roll, they like to curl up in them. at hot end i had another hide and i shoved a wee plant with a sucker at hot end too.
if the substrate is measuring 80-85, this is fine, they need the belly heat set at that to digest.
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Lynne sorry didn't see the question what set up i had Smile no mine ant glass its a plastic box type. I'm not very good at explaining Embarassed on goggle i typed in baby corn snake care and there is a pic of a little snake and says how to care for a baby corn snake the man i got it from is in the vid and i have set it up the same Smile if it isn't showing ill try to explain its plastic contico box and has aspen at the bottom a water dish on the cool side i have put a piece of bark half on hot half on cold, the strip thermometer is in the middle just above the aspen, then i placed the round thermometer on the heated part of the aspen ( ill look out for the laser sounds great)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Corn, Kings, Rat & Milk snakes All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: