Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

melanistic lacerta vivipera
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Reptiles in the field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bohan
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No i think i'll hang on to it for a while, perhaps get a female and release them around my pond which i built with slow worms, common lizards, frogs, toads and newts in mind amoung others Smile

2.0.0 Varanus glauerti.
1.1.0 Varanus a brachyurus.
1.1.0 Chlamydosaurus kingii.
1.3.4 Lacerta vivipera.
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bohan, thanks for sharing your quality photographs of a melanistic L.vivipara. A lot of people on here will have greatly appreciated having seen it.

I have personally spent what some people may consider a wasted childhood as well as a good proportion of my adult life wandering around observing our native reptiles. My findings on Melanism amongst l.vivipara in the British Isles are that whilst certain colonies do exhibit a small percentage of melanistic animals amongst the population, melanistic individuals in the majority of colonies are generally speaking conspicuous by their absence. It was an interesting find that you made and good to get on camera.

One of my favourite all time field naturalists, Colin Simms in his erudite 1969 book "Lives of British Lizards" (ISBN 900404 10 Cool includes an interesting little table in the publication pertaining to colour variations amongst British populations of l.vivipara which I have included below. Wink
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
Bohan
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Peter it was truly informative Very Happy
I once saw a green one or i should say mostly green some 20 years ago on Chudleigh knighton heath, every thing else has been brown.
I will be walking my heath a lot this summer coming and hope to get some more photos.
Oh that reminds me i was talking to a man who was interested in what i was doing taking 25 minutes to walk 50 yards Laughing i told him i was lizard spotting and he had to tell me of a large (he said about 10 inch though?) green lizard sitting high in a gorse bush, this man seemed pretty clued up on reptiles and i have to say i take what he said as mostly true so with a bit of luck i might find it this summer?

cheers Smile

2.0.0 Varanus glauerti.
1.1.0 Varanus a brachyurus.
1.1.0 Chlamydosaurus kingii.
1.3.4 Lacerta vivipera.
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know if you find any tree dwelling 10" lizards! I have no idea what that could be. Confused All I can say is that if an animal on these shores does genuinely fit that description, then it`s a long way from home. Having personally run over an American racoon in West Wales some years back, anything is possible however.

Back to melanism amongst native herps, here`s an interesting link that includes shots of melanistic grass snakes; http://www.herpetofauna.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=411&PN=1&TPN=2

Melanistic adders; http://www.herpetofauna.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1920&PN=5
www.btcvcymru.org
Morbid
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have to say this..

They are no longer Lacerta, but Zootoca..

Assumption is the Mother of all f***ups.
slippery42
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Yep! Reply with quote

Morbid wrote:

I thought of pointing out latin as well Laughing Laughing Laughing

Using Nikon D300's and pro lenses
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morbid wrote:

Thanks Morbid, I am aware of the change, think you have pointed it out at least twice!! I won`t change the habit of a lifetime however. Chrondro rolls off my tongue on a regular basis instead of Morelia viridis for example. I am not really called parrot, but thats what everyone has called me for many years and long may they continue to do so, mainly because everybody is then aware of who is being spoken about. Smile I am currently working alongside the HCT (Herpetological Conservation Trust) and also with ARGUK (Amphibian and Reptile Groups UK) and have yet to hear a single one of the experienced workers refer to the viviparous lizard as Zootoca. It`s always Lacerta, more than likely for the same reason. Lacerta has been tripping off their tongues for 30 years plus. A hard habit to break! Whilst you are entirely correct about the taxanomical name change details, I am afraid that it seldom actually gets said much in areas of GB so far. It will probably take a new generation of herp workers before the new name is used with regularlity in normal everyday conversations, everyone is so accustomed to the older name.

slippery42 wrote:

..............and you couldn`t resist the urge to!
www.btcvcymru.org
Morbid
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Parrot wrote:
Morbid wrote:

Thanks Morbid, I am aware of the change, think you have pointed it out at least twice!! I won`t change the habit of a lifetime however. Chrondro rolls off my tongue on a regular basis instead of Morelia viridis for example. I am not really called parrot, but thats what everyone has called me for many years and long may they continue to do so, mainly because everybody is then aware of who is being spoken about. Smile I am currently working alongside the HCT (Herpetological Conservation Trust) and also with ARGUK (Amphibian and Reptile Groups UK) and have yet to hear a single one of the experienced workers refer to the viviparous lizard as Zootoca. It`s always Lacerta, more than likely for the same reason. Lacerta has been tripping off their tongues for 30 years plus. A hard habit to break! Whilst you are entirely correct about the taxanomical name change details, I am afraid that it seldom actually gets said much in areas of GB so far. It will probably take a new generation of herp workers before the new name is used with regularlity in normal everyday conversations, everyone is so accustomed to the older name.

slippery42 wrote:

..............and you couldn`t resist the urge to!

You donīt have to change a thing, man.. With so many threads on this forum, itīs just good to repeat once or twice. Laughing

Get your point..

Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you say that again please? Razz Wink Laughing
www.btcvcymru.org
Morbid
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Parrot wrote:
Could you say that again please? Razz Wink Laughing

Laughing Cool

Absolutley not!

Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Reptiles in the field All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: