Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Water supply for feeder mice cages
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bri.
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Water supply for feeder mice cages Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, how many of you who breed your own mice use individual water bottles on each cage, or a watering system with a main header tank with watering lines running to each cage ?

I breed chinchillas, and got fed up with changing bottles years ago. I made the transition over to a watering system and will never go back...makes life a lot easier !!!!
Rad
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the mo i am filling separate bottles but would be interested in a watering system for the same reasons it is a pain in the a##e to keep filling them
Bri.
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started using mine there was only one real choice available, and that I wasn't happy with as it tended to drip. I imported mine from a company called Agselect in the US. With the second order I had to pay import tax, but it was worth it. They do various sizes of drinking valves depending on what you are using them for.

If any one is interested, have a look on my website. I've a section on watering systems and how to set them up. There is a UK supplier now, and before any one says anything, it isn't me !!! Though I did get offered the job Smile
gramitch
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love to see how automatic watering could work with lab type mouse and rat cages as they have to be removed from the shelving regularly for cleaning,removal of mice etc.I imagine a tangle of tubes.Pics anyone ?
Rad
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gramitch wrote:
Would love to see how automatic watering could work with lab type mouse and rat cages as they have to be removed from the shelving regularly for cleaning,removal of mice etc.I imagine a tangle of tubes.Pics anyone ?

i was thinking the same
Bri.
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link to the main Edstrom site http://www.edstrom.com/products.cfm?doc_id=123

They have used a metal manifold by the looks of it. This has a quick release system to connect it to the drinking valves. My own system uses flexible tubing connected to the drinking valve that is fixed to the cage with clips. You have to unclip the valve to remove the cage.

On the main Agselect site http://www.agselect.com/ED/Features.cfm?DID=11&QADID=4 they suggest punching holes through the back of the cage and pushing the cage onto the drinking valve. This makes it easier to remove the cage for cleaning.
jamie_s
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i rigged my mouse rack up with an auto watering system last year and they are very good.i used the vari flow valves and im happy with em Wink
nickyh
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy to buy this from in the UK is John Hopewell. We bought all of ours from him - he is brilliant.
www.johnhopewell.co.uk
Bri.
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. John is listed in my Links section. His cages are great.
Jim O
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickyh wrote:
The guy to buy this from in the UK is John Hopewell. We bought all of ours from him - he is brilliant.
www.johnhopewell.co.uk

Thanks for that link ' nickyh ' thats a real useful site Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: