Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interesting observation in my female albigularis.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlbigularisCrazy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Interesting observation in my female albigularis. Reply with quote

I found this rather interesting maybe some of you might as well.

I seen an interesting behavior in my female albigularis (Silver) tonight.
Some background info on this animal. I've had this female albigularis for a little over three years now.
Since the day I bought her she's been rather shy, and doesn't like being messed with. She normally doesn't mind me in the cage but if I touch her, or mess with her in any way she lets me know that she's upset.

Well I've seen that Mark my other female albig was a bit skinny, and I seen a few areas where she dug some holes. I noticed I hadn't seen her for a few days, so I said hmmm maybe she laid some eggs. I seen the hole that I'd seen was filled in, I found a 'weak' point so I'm totally in the cage, on my belly with my legs hanging out digging at this hole. Silver was up on her shelf, while I was digging she was watching me. Then a few minutes later she started coming down to the ground. Where she slowly walk underneath me over to where I was digging (with my hand) she looked at me as to say "What are you doing?" This behavior it not like her at all. I took my hand out of the hole, and she stuck her head in the hole. I was like what are you doing. Then she walked over the the corner and just watched me.

So I had my camera out I thought I'd take a few photos of her, by the time I got back to the cage, she was in the hole digging. Soon after she went back up to her shelf as if nothing happened.

I found no eggs, and just left the hole open. Here's a few photos of her, the hole, and the some of the Ackies for the heck of it.

Silver after she stuck her head in the hole.

hole.

Her the second time digging.

Some of the Ackies.

Smaller male.

Female.

Med Male.

Thanks,
Chad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
James
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can imagine that happening and some nice photos to. duno why there not showing up on the forum but they work ok when you copy and paste the address into a new window?
Jordi J
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting observation in my female albigularis. Reply with quote

I've added the picture's for you. If a moderator can change that in the first post they may remove my reply.
The thing why you can't see the photo's is that you had to remove the ?v=0 part of you image code Wink

AlbigularisCrazy wrote:

Silver after she stuck her head in the hole.

hole.

Her the second time digging.

Some of the Ackies.

Smaller male.

Female.

Med Male.

Thanks,
Chad

1.1.1 Cyclodomorphus gerrardi

Co-Studbookeeper ESF studbook Tribolonotus sp.

MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed the pics for you mate.. Very interesting to see! thanks for sharing Cool

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
Lynne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are beautiful. might seem a daft thing to ask, but she couldnt have eaten any eggs that were there could she? excuse my ignorance, i know nothing about these. gorgeous though.
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if its like with robins, you start digging in the ground and they seem to instinctively know there will be food exposed?
It could be that your monitor is used to being fed by hand and has associated your hole digging with a potential feed? Smile

2.0.0 Varanus glauerti.
1.1.0 Varanus a brachyurus.
1.1.0 Chlamydosaurus kingii.
1.3.4 Lacerta vivipera.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small! All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: